PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust system problem!

Dan Holland
16-02-03, 03:45 PM
hello,

im just about to do a 16xe engine conversion on my 1.3 sr and ive been told i might have trouble lining up the 16v manifold to the original exhaust
system!
if any one has done this conversion how did you solve this problem?
any help what so ever will be cool....

cheers

mikeoxford
16-02-03, 08:54 PM
correct

you will have to bodge a nova downpipe to a 16v manifold i think.... in fact here you go..........

You must modify the existing 16V manifold to match up with your existing exhaust system. Your best off getting a GTE system, and making the manifold mate up to the system. Some cutting + welding, or bending will be required.

Ben (lurk75)
16-02-03, 09:27 PM
2 ways of going, cut & shut the down pipe onto the nova system or get a flexi pipe that work very well, i done the cut and shut method but wouldnt again.

mikeoxford
16-02-03, 09:29 PM
2 ways of going, cut & shut the down pipe onto the nova system or get a flexi pipe that work very well, i done the cut and shut method but wouldnt again.

id say flexipie method as well, trouble with other way is if you dont get it spot on you gotta do it all again!

if you do go that way i assume, cut the nova system off somehwere whilst on the car, and cut manifold in similar place. spot weld a couple of tacks to hold, then weld fully of the car, trouble is dont let any weld get inside because it will ruin the flow.

Ben (lurk75)
16-02-03, 09:33 PM
no we left the nova system alone (full scorpion stainless) and just cut the astra down pipe to match the nova system then welded it into place.

This was done for the simple reason i am having a full custom longlife exhaust made including downpipe. So i didnt want to molest the stainless system so i could flog it when im finished with it.

(still would have used a flexi pipe if i knew about them before hand :roll: )

mikeoxford
16-02-03, 10:57 PM
there u go then Dan. Ben speaks from experience so go with what he says, i only know what ive read and heard about so hes your man

Aragorn
16-02-03, 11:17 PM
i seem to recall someone (dicko i think) having connected an SRi system to a 16v by using a 16v manifold and an SRi downpipe and system

the sri downpipe connected to the system and manifold like normal

Ben (lurk75)
17-02-03, 03:08 PM
i seem to recall someone (dicko i think) having connected an SRi system to a 16v by using a 16v manifold and an SRi downpipe and system

the sri downpipe connected to the system and manifold like normal

that will work as well but is easier to do flexi pipe.

Dan Holland
17-02-03, 07:18 PM
Cheers for ya help! this flexi pipe sounds like the rout im gonna take,
just a couple of questions though! where can i get hold of some of this?
and hows the best way of fixing it all together?

thanks again for ya help....

Ben (lurk75)
17-02-03, 10:53 PM
Any motor factors place will have them, or an exhaust fitter will get them but probably cost more.

Let us know how you get on.

mikeoxford
17-02-03, 11:19 PM
can get it mail order of demon tweaks.

i think halfords stock it

also A B Fletchers in birmingham, they do postal service also i think

Dicko
18-02-03, 09:17 AM
id suggest..
16v manifold. gte downpipe (get it bent downwards at a garage as the manifold kicks it in towards the car. then cut off the end and flexipipe it to a gte system :)