PDA

View Full Version : what alarm

shanehandley
16-02-03, 10:58 AM
just lately theres been alot of cars brokin into round my area so ive decided to invest in alarm!wot one shall i getas theres loads i want one thats good and knocks the price down on insurance

Is there any websites, or how much am i ruthly looking at to pay including the fitting.

MattyWoo
16-02-03, 11:35 AM
look back a coupla of pages in the technical forum. i asked the same question a coupla months ago mate.

Dave
16-02-03, 03:59 PM
Go for a toad they seem to be the best by far, the Ai606 is meant to be one of the best has about 6 extra 'ports' on it so you can up-grade it to any system depending on what you want.
there are some good deals on alarms at the moment try lookin in the back of any car mag an there should a list of companies advertised in there if not, the trusty yellow pages!

Tazzy
16-02-03, 04:44 PM
as long as it categroy 1 or 2 thatcham approaved, youll be ok, about 200 lizzies i think, itll bring your insurance down by a bit as well!

Ben (lurk75)
16-02-03, 04:53 PM
got two toads the C5T2 on the GSi anbd the Ai606 on the GTi and there great.

Tazzy
16-02-03, 05:35 PM
i was thinking of getting the MP5 soon enough, when i get the lizzies together!

Jim
16-02-03, 07:58 PM
I've got an AutoWatch Alarm. I can't really fault it. Lots of options and upgrades for it. There tested in South Africa which is one of the worst countrys for Car crime.

Jim

Ben (lurk75)
16-02-03, 08:02 PM
There tested in South Africa which is one of the worst countrys for Car crime.

Jim

does it have the option of flame throwers from the side repaeters as this is avalible out there to try to stop Hi-Jacking at lights etc. :lol: :lol:

The car crime is high there but normally got the owner in the drivers seat at the time as they just shoot you and take the car.

mikeoxford
16-02-03, 08:40 PM
just for my 2p.

had autowatch on my first car

agreed with slim jim, VERY upgradeable and dose everything you could imagine if you want it to.

likewise with my latest nova

i have a cobra alarm. thats pretty "add-in" friendly.

my alarm turns out that although it is a base (ish) - its about medium - model, that alot of the features ARE already on board, for instance next week it is going in to have the second button function activated for ?20. they must use jumpers or broken joints inside or something.

GTE-RACER
17-02-03, 02:58 PM
Get the Toad MP5....best alarm i've had...well not really hard to beat my old MICROSCAN AN210 lol

Ben (lurk75)
17-02-03, 03:10 PM
LMAo no one has mentoned clifford once, and there the best in the world, My arse :!:

Ric 16v
17-02-03, 05:28 PM
well I'm sorry but I (personally) think toad alarms are shit !!! clifford are the best by far without a doubt !!! u can get LOADS of upgrades for them way more than any other alarm !!! and I'm not going to be a twat or owt but loads of people seem to get toad alarms because there CHEAP !!!and clifford are expensive thats why most people don't get them coz they can't afford them, cheap - tacky, expensive - top quality stuff, sorry but thats just what I think !!!

Ben (lurk75)
17-02-03, 05:44 PM
yes youve said all that before but have never backed it up by saying why toad are cheap and tacky? Please justify the reason for spending ?200 more for a name?

The most expensive dosent mean there the best.

In the 1980's cliffords were the best you could buy they were excellent no one can dispute that. They built an amazing name for themselves and are now just living of the back of that as they havent really changed the technology since then. Whereas other companies have come through with new ideas and are now showing what they can do.

No Cat 1 alarm is cheap and tacky as they have all had to go through tough testing to get the accolade.

in my opinion the best alarms i have some into conatc with are the Code alarms but i wouldnt say there is any point in sticking one on a nova as has to many options for the size of the car.

I cant see the point of putting an alarm costing ?500 on a car valued at less than ?1k.

mikeoxford
17-02-03, 06:07 PM
id say:

toad
cobra
autowatch
clifford

purely on a cost / features point of view........

Ben (lurk75)
17-02-03, 06:18 PM
Blimey didnt realise i wrote that much, made my point though. :o

Ric 16v
17-02-03, 06:33 PM
take the advantguard 4 from clifford, it's probably the most up to date alarm you can get, here's just a few features I can think of that it has - remote engine start, roll up windows on activation, remote headlights, remote boot release, smart siren 4 with 6 different siren tones, here's just a few I can think of but theres still LOADS of others it has AS STANDARD

Ben (lurk75)
17-02-03, 06:37 PM
So why the extra ?200?

So you can turn the headlights on or start the engine from a button. Why?

Thats not justification.

All these features are on Code Alrams and the Toad MP5 and the Ai606.

Ballsy
17-02-03, 08:22 PM
i had a toad on my last car and it done everthing that i wanted it to do, i got the remote window closure etc, never had no probs with it!! On my new car it has a clifford on it which i have no faults with aswell, if i was goin 2 put a new alarm on ne thing it would be a clifford cause i think they have alot more fetures etc,

as for them not havin anymore ideas like ben said, does that not say that there more advanced and the other companies r playin catch up!!

Ballsy

mikeoxford
17-02-03, 11:42 PM
ennit!

in a couple of years we may be james bond stylee and have mobile fones to control all our car features!!!

remote start? tut how about remote control drive :lol:

Euan
18-02-03, 12:12 PM
are the microscan totally shit? cus am on a strict budget just now and considered buying on of their "better" models.

Ben (lurk75)
18-02-03, 04:24 PM
ennit!

in a couple of years we may be james bond stylee and have mobile fones to control all our car features!!!

remote start? tut how about remote control drive :lol:

You can get these already, they are designed for people with covertibles mainly, such as if you park with the roof down you can ring the car through a center and they activate the roof up. Also helps by alereting you if your car alarm is activated. The unit is used in conjucuntion with certain alarms and costs about ?300 but then you have to pay line rental on a separate GSM mobile phone line.