PDA

View Full Version : stupid !

michaelawson
08-07-09, 09:46 AM
im no wizz with mechanics or styling but i own a nova :P

having a bit of trouble at the moment as my battery has just been recharged yet the car wont start ?
everytime i switch the ignition i here a click under the bonnet and nothing else. .
heaters work, boot light and light next to interior mirror are the only things tht now work ..

does anyone have any advice?
cheers

Mazz
08-07-09, 09:49 AM
Sound like the starter motor is dead :(

You can try putting it in gear and rocking/pushing it to move the starter motor a bit - that may work..

NovaBoi92
08-07-09, 09:49 AM
happened to me. clicking would be the fuel pump priming. its worth checking all the connections on the starter motor because that was my probelm. ignition on - everything worked, turn the key, then nothing. if thats not the problem then you need to be testing some wires, but check the starter motor first.

Tidy Max
08-07-09, 09:50 AM
have you tried another battery anyway, i know nothing either mate, but i think that would be my next step!

NovaBoi92
08-07-09, 09:50 AM
but he said that everything works, so the battery is supplying power

michaelawson
08-07-09, 09:51 AM
well im screwed if it is the motor !! im skint !

when i get the time i think i might try jumping it, push a bit of kick in it,

actually i have tried anther battery and i heard 2 clicks haha

NovaBoi92
08-07-09, 09:53 AM
that probably wont work, because you said that the battery is already charged. try giving it a bump start. if it does start by bumping it, then its probably likely to be the starter motor or ignition wiring to starter etc..

joff-turbo-nova
08-07-09, 09:54 AM
I had a similar problem like this a few years ago.

Dash lights turned on but when you cranked nothing happened.

Turned out to be that I had not tightened up the battery terminals and it wasn't making a good connection.

If its not that then see if the soleniod on the starter motor is getting a +12v when you crank. If it is then the solenoid isn;t kicking in the starter motor correctly.

Joff

Tidy Max
08-07-09, 09:57 AM
enough power for light and a fan isn't the same as enough power to start a car though is it!

michaelawson
08-07-09, 09:57 AM
well this has given me a good few ideas i will be back with hopefully good news shortly thanks .

NovaBoi92
08-07-09, 09:59 AM
enough power for light and a fan isn't the same as enough power to start a car though is it!

dont shout at me lol electrics isnt my strong point, im just giving him advice from the experience that ive had

Tidy Max
08-07-09, 10:03 AM
I DIDNT ****ING SHOUT lol lol lol

i know mate, mechanics isnt mine, im a spark haha

AlexW
08-07-09, 11:11 AM
lol Tidy max is right, the starter takes a lot out of the battery, hence it dont take long to drain when cranking.

Im not going to bother repeating what everyone else has said but im presuming the car has been used a bit? Not seized engine or snapped timing belt.

Oh and novaboi, the clicking he is refering to is the starter, fuel pump relays are almost silent.

michaelawson
08-07-09, 11:13 AM
hmmm not good,
had a little burst of freedom within 2 minutes but nope.
the clicking sound happened a load once i had tightened the battery
but still nothing

NovaBoi92
08-07-09, 11:14 AM
there's me thinking its the fuel pump relay. my mistake :D

amz
08-07-09, 11:20 AM
I had the same problem a couple of months ago I had to get a breaker bar and hit the starter motor sometimes that would work and sometimes not.

michaelawson
08-07-09, 11:28 AM
haha as if that works !?!

amz
08-07-09, 11:30 AM
It did actually, hit it a couple of times and away you went

Hobbit
08-07-09, 11:37 AM
haha as if that works !?!

smacking a starter does work sometimes, but is not a cure.

But if it works you'll know the starter is dieing.

Best way to do is is get a mate to turn it over as you give it a few short sharp hits :thumb:

michaelawson
08-07-09, 11:41 AM
well ill give it a go !

amz
08-07-09, 11:42 AM
Best way to do is is get a mate to turn it over as you give it a few short sharp hits :thumb:

I had to do it in an ADSA carpark during the day and it just wouldnt start a couple of blokes seen a damsel in distress and gave me a bump startlol

L14MNP
08-07-09, 11:43 AM
Aye, tap it to free up the solenoid, can do it solo but obviously is more affective to have someone attempting to turn the car over at the same time.

My money is on the starter being to blame, have you tried bumping it?

michaelawson
08-07-09, 11:47 AM
tried bumping m8, that clicking sound im on about keeps happening .. but just going back out there to give another go ... fingers crossed

skidmarkz
08-07-09, 11:51 AM
tried bumping m8, that clicking sound im on about keeps happening .. but just going back out there to give another go ... fingers crossed

had the same issue a while back, for a test try putting a new Earth wire from your alternator direct to Negative on the battery "use a set of jump leads" dont connect the red though lol,

i found 1 of my earths had just given up, threw up this exact same fault, clicking from starter but no go...

J

napalm_27
08-07-09, 12:00 PM
try earth straps to the body they may be loose
or
your trying to charge a shagged battery
get a battery off a running car and try that

michaelawson
08-07-09, 12:13 PM
@skidmarkz .. good idea will try it out

@napalm 27.. already done !

Sonny Jim
08-07-09, 12:14 PM
This happened to me a few months back made the clicking noise also. U could bumpstart it for a week then absolutely nothing would happen! Turns out it was the starter motor got a new one put on at local garage for 50 squid.. Stop being cheap and just buy a new starter motor hahaha

michaelawson
08-07-09, 12:22 PM
well, i shall see if the jump leads give it a good kick tonight.. if not will be the garage tomorrow ... :(