PDA

View Full Version : Thiefs!!!! - Back Window

jamesdarlington
15-02-03, 05:19 PM
Hi all, as im sure a lot if not all of you Nova owners have all had some sort of break in to your car, it almost comes as standard with a Nova. Last nite for the 6th time in a year of owning my car it was broken into :cry: 3 times now they have taken out the very back window by cutting the rubber seal and taking the entire window out. Luckily last nite my alarm went off and in a panic they dropped the glass which they had taken out which smashed all over my front driveway :evil: I wasnt too pleased! They didnt take anything from my Nova but it has been a lot of hassle gettin it sorted and a lot of money (almost ?100 in all!) I cant think of anyway of making the back window more secure and less suseptable to this kind of attack, has anyone else experienced the same sort of attack on their car and has anyone else found a way of stopping these pr*ks from doing it. Any information you have would be so good as im really starting to get a bit pissed off with my car constantly being broken into. Thanks lads (and girls)

wisewood
15-02-03, 05:22 PM
Reverse onto your drive so you can see them behind the car if they try it maybe it'll put em off... security lights on the house...

not sure you could actually do anything to make the rear window more secure.

jatinder
15-02-03, 05:29 PM
you can get that security film? but it wont really help if they cut the seal i think floodlights would be best. maybe wire up an extra alram to your car too make it louder

jamesdarlington
15-02-03, 06:16 PM
There is a floodlight that goes off wen ppl walk past, i think this jus helped them cos it gave them some light lol

Dicko
15-02-03, 07:14 PM
i put mine on the driveway with proximity sensor on, cant touch any windows without it going off. its pretty loud aswell.
alarm cost ?270 in total (taod ai606) might be cheaper in the longrun if you do something like that.
do you have speakers on display or are they taking a gamble that thers something worth nicking in the car?

mikeoxford
16-02-03, 09:20 PM
:o seems a lot of agro for pure chance, you had stuff on show?

bloody hell they went the long way! think of all the other ways into novas!

burgessovsalford
17-02-03, 11:00 AM
A few possible solutions...

1) If you have got rear speakers on show get a stealth shelf or make one.

2) As said in previous post reverse your drive. PLUS if you have got a wall/your house, reverse as close to it as possible. Thats what I do so they cannot even get behind the back of my car. :)

3) Get a mini CCTV camera from B&Q. Not very expensive & you can buy the ones where if some actually goes into your garden your TV/video will automatically switch over & start recording. You should get em them as its pobably the same C**Ts whos been doing it all the time... :wink:

wisewood
17-02-03, 11:12 AM
The CCTV things are a good idea...
I am gonna get one for my place - one camera mounted inside the front window aimed outside to the front door and the path so i can see who's at teh door without opening the curtains and one on the back watching the cars... auto channel change and record and two cameras (or even 4 in some kits) you can pick up for about 100 quid.

Gotta be worth it for that.

Alex
17-02-03, 01:17 PM
thing is if you reverse up to a wall, they will just take out the front windscreen. thats what they did to me :(

frog_southampton
17-02-03, 01:31 PM
1st time i had my car broken in to i had only had my car for less than a week....and was 1st time i had taken out of southampton....

i went to bournemouth wiv GF parked in car park...walked away and walked back 2 car and reversed in the space up against a wall instead coz though summint would happen!

come back 2 hours l8er and car was trashed!

had fire extinguisher set off in my car!....didnt even have anything on show...nor did i even have a stereo!

glad it happened then and not when i got all my gear in!

Jim
17-02-03, 01:48 PM
They know the guys car now, so even if he has some speakers in the parcel shelf and he builds a stealth shelf, the thieves are still going to know theres stuff in the car.

If a thief wants to break into your car, they will. Buying an alarm witha proximity sensor sounds like the best idea. This way it'll go off before they get a chance to get near the car. Might be a bit annoying if you have cats in the area, but probably worth it.

Other than that, you could try renting a garage from somewhere. If there trying to steal the car itself rather than I.C.E then I suggest buying a discklock from Halfords, one that covers the whole steering wheel. These have been proven to be the most affective means of stopping a thief from trying to drive the car away.

Thieves are scum, nothing you can do other than hide in the boot one night with a baseball bat and beat the c**p out of them when they remove the glass...OK, bit extreme, but it'll be dam funny to see there faces when you jump out at them holding a baseball bat :lol:

Jim

burgessovsalford
17-02-03, 02:38 PM
thing is if you reverse up to a wall, they will just take out the front windscreen. thats what they did to me :(

took your front windscreen out!! wot was they after?!

I think these thiefs must be amictures(spelling?) cos after all prob the easiest way to get into nova's is the doors & every1 no's that...

mikeoxford
17-02-03, 06:09 PM
taking the window out is beyond me..............

not wanting to make noise?

whitey
17-02-03, 06:31 PM
Well there you go!
The doors are a piece of piss no matter what you do!
My mate de-locked and dehandled his car, security film on windows and they decided to wedge a screw driver down the side, grab the frame and bend it in half!
Put hand through and open door! BSTARDS and fukka coz needed new door, dehandling spray etc etc to match the car again!

Alex
17-02-03, 06:54 PM

they took my hazard switch, my door knobs (standard) my heater controls, and they actually stole the windscreen! oh and they had 2p from the change slot in my glove box :lol:
Proper pikeys[/quote]

mikeoxford
17-02-03, 11:47 PM

they took my hazard switch, my door knobs (standard) my heater controls, and they actually stole the windscreen! oh and they had 2p from the change slot in my glove box :lol:
Proper pikeys[/quote]

no offence and not condoning theft, but you gotta hand it to them thats a classic

WTF!?!?!??!?!

burgessovsalford
18-02-03, 10:14 AM
:lol: Cant beleive that!! sorry but i help but find that funny! STANDARD door nobs!!

Obivously it must be someone whos got a nova after a few parts...

whitey
18-02-03, 05:03 PM
Door knobs!? You mean winders im thinking? If so then they are nutters and do own a nova coz you have to have had one to know how to get the fcukers off and it can take a bit of time sometimes when the clip keeps slipping!

Whites

WNKERS!

Ben (lurk75)
18-02-03, 05:17 PM
?100 to sort it out? you joking with us?

I had my GSi rear auter window replaced for ?37 fitted and the guy came to my house and done it, also done the other one they broke as well.

My sister had a cavalier back windscreen pinched from a hospital car park when we were visiting my mum, and her handbag was on the back seat and they never took it! (stupid in i know but thats my sister)

the end of the day you cant secure any car.

mikeoxford
18-02-03, 06:54 PM
still cant get me head around all this thread and "window pinching / method of breaking in :? "

jamesdarlington
18-02-03, 11:52 PM
Na they cant touch the door locks cos they are solex, they have done the old ones in before which is why i changed them. I think that the prximity alarm idea sounds the best. Thanks for your help lads :D

Nova-Boy
19-02-03, 10:07 AM
I locked myself out of my car one day at work. It took me about 20seconds to get into it.

Step 1. *********** (Preperation)

Step 2. *********** (preperation)

Step 3. *********** (2 seconds)

Step 4. *********** (5 seconds)

Step 5. *********** (13 seconds. Can be a bit tricky sometimes)

So why bother to take the hole back window out when it is that easy to do with No damage at all!

The thing that worried me the most was that i had never done it before and i did it soo quick.

A thief could be away with a standard nova in about 1 min with only steering housing damage, seeing that to hot wire one takes only ***********!!

(ps i am not a car thief although it is starting to sound like i am)

**edit by wisewood to stop anyone who might be a car thief finding a DETAILED method of breaking into all of our cars!!! Remember you dont have to be a member to read these forums.

burgessovsalford
19-02-03, 10:25 AM
MY house key gets me in just as quick as my original nova key!!! :lol:

wisewood
19-02-03, 10:40 AM
In that case you need to strip and repair your locks mate.

I had a problem like that on one of my novas and eventually it got so bad you could jsut press a 2p against it and turn and thats it - you were in teh car :lol: VERY secure that is.

Alex
19-02-03, 02:18 PM
Door knobs!? You mean winders im thinking?
Nope, standard door knobs to lock and unlock the car :o

Nova-Boy
19-02-03, 02:58 PM
I would like to Apologise for telling the world how to break into our beloved cars! :oops:

But surely theres no need to break into one through the back window!! :o

burgessovsalford
19-02-03, 04:10 PM
In that case you need to strip and repair your locks mate.

I had a problem like that on one of my novas and eventually it got so bad you could jsut press a 2p against it and turn and thats it - you were in teh car :lol: VERY secure that is.

ITs not my lock mechanism m8, its the door surrounding, so when you put the key into my car door the whole lock goes round. I think il need either a new door or Dlock the existing door. When you delock, do you need to respray the whole door or can u just door need to the a get a rubbing compound to blend it together??

wisewood
19-02-03, 04:29 PM
Should be able to do the area you want - seen loads of cars around with delocked doors that have primer on that area still and no paint - thena week or so later with paint on it.

mikeoxford
20-02-03, 12:37 AM
easy enough to spray an area and blend the pair in with a bit of graft

burgessovsalford
20-02-03, 11:36 AM
Cheers! As dont wanna fiddle about with respraying the whole door...