PDA

View Full Version : horrible sqeeking/squeeling

jimbob-mcgrew
07-07-09, 09:59 AM
im getting a nasty sqeeking/squeeling noise from what i think is behind the cam pulley. it changes tone with the revs. could it be the oil seal behind it ?

dougie_boi
07-07-09, 12:19 PM
is your water pump ok mate. how long was your engine sitting un used before you fitted it mate

jimbob-mcgrew
07-07-09, 12:27 PM
water pumps new, altho i never fitted it, and.... dunno bout that one, i dont think it was stood mega long, as the butterflys in the carb would all be corroded stiff/seized.

sounds like noise is coming from the cam end to me.

dougie_boi
07-07-09, 12:39 PM
is there plenty oil pressure when its running mate if you very slowly take oil cap off when its ticking over you will see it splashing all over the place. just dont take it right off just enough to have a peek in lol or you will get it splashing everywhere also try spraying wd40 behind the pulley on the alternator when running as sometimes noises can traver kinda like there playing mind games wiith you lol

jimbob-mcgrew
07-07-09, 11:58 PM
let a guy at work that knows his stuff take a look at it after work, he says ive done the cam belt too tight and the noise is strain on the waterpump bearings. said he was surprised my cambelt hasnt snapped allready.

whoops!!!!
will get on that tommora morn and slacked it a tad.

he also said i need to hook up my vaccum hoses aswel, cant leave them blocked as it upsets the running of the engine, another possible cause as to my poor running. not mentioning any names who told me to block em off *cough* alex *cough* you dirty cnut *cough* lol

AlexW
08-07-09, 12:01 AM
No, You can block them off no problem... if anything they should make it run better

7ova
08-07-09, 12:05 AM
your lucky there mate
if thats the problem, that the belt didnt snap
are you going to take the timing belt back of and check
the water pump bearings and the belt for any cracks?

jimbob-mcgrew
08-07-09, 12:07 AM
wasnt goign to check for cracks, but now u mention it, will do :thumb:
its a new belt so i doubt it will have cracks, the guy said the fibres within it are most likely stretched to buggery now tho, so im gonna have to get another belt a.s.a.p, but gonna slacked it first thing tommora and hope for the best till then.

7ova
08-07-09, 12:11 AM
don't forget about checking your water pump,
keep an eye on it after you've fixed it
it could start leaking slightly if the belt was really tight!

jimbob-mcgrew
08-07-09, 12:16 AM
luckily the pump was new aswell, so its probably got some life left in it, but like the cambelt, ideally could do with replacing shortly down the road.

7ova
08-07-09, 12:18 AM
hope it goes ok tomorrow :thumb:

jimbob-mcgrew
08-07-09, 12:35 AM
yeh hope so too, nice one bud :thumb:

kinda glad this has happened tho, cos you only learn in life from your mistakes.