PDA

View Full Version : Bike Help

bmw156
06-07-09, 05:22 PM
hey, got my xbr500 the other day and its playing up a little

it starts etc runs etc

but when im riding along between 1000 and 3000 revs it stutters alot, as soon as i pull above 3k it is fine, rides like a dream

i have changed plug, as it needed it, still does it, got a new coil coming, there is no air filter in as the owner thought it would be fun to take it out.

and havent played with the carb yet

what do you think it could be?

could the air filter missing cause this? or do you think the needle in the carb isnt right....

novalicous
06-07-09, 08:06 PM
have you cleaned the tank or lines?

maybe also worth checking the jets/giving them a clean and also the bowl on the bottom of the carb

michael squeak
06-07-09, 08:15 PM
i would personally get an air filter first and go from there.

bmw156
06-07-09, 08:17 PM
ok cheers guys will get an air filter

novalicous
06-07-09, 09:18 PM
an air filter may help but my old mans been running his xs500 with out an air filter for years and never had a problem i would go with the things i said before

Pistol Pete
06-07-09, 09:26 PM
Sounds fuel related to me. Strip the carb down, being sure to make a note of how many turns each screw comes out (air, mixture etc). Sounds like one of the jets may be partially blocked of maybe the float levels are wrong? Have you moved the clip up or down on the needle?

pul16v
06-07-09, 09:42 PM
sounds like a blocked jet to me . dont remove the air mixture screw as it shouldnt need to be to get the float bowl off ,try giving it a good blow through with an airline with the jets removed from the carb body . give the jets a good looking over making sure there all clean and have no crusty bits cloging the holes . also dunno if you know but the jets arnt setting specific so you can remove and refit so worries with how many turns in they where . that only applies to the air mixture screw . check the diagphram for rips or tares too that can some times cause stumbling whilst transitioning between jets

also if you start making changes to its setup do them one at a time so you see its change ,otherwise it can get out of hand quickly

phil

bmw156
06-07-09, 09:43 PM
cheers guys, i havent touched the carb yet, as i want to mke sure its not something small, and it might not be the air filter. but im gonna buy one anyway lol

and yeh im gonna rip the carb of, but i wanna get a gasket set first and some carb cleaner then i will attack it etc lol