PDA

View Full Version : C14SE losing power

NovaGuy1400SRi
06-07-09, 03:17 PM
Just wondering what could be making my Nova lose power, it's a C14SE, sometimes struggles to pick up speed even in 2nd gear at lower speeds, whereas before, it used to spin the wheels, also you can feel it lagging a bit.

Any help much appreciated :) Just want my car to be quick again.

craig green
06-07-09, 03:22 PM
Firstly, how well serviced is she? Plugs, fuel filter, ign leads etc? (is it a dizzy or coilpack engine)??

Second. The most common fault I've heard of in these engines over the years is the map sensor or the vac pipe going to it failing. Also the electrical connector & wires for it.

Lastly (& 1st to check really) is the blue CTS sensor in the side of the cyl head. These fail over time & cause all manner of odd running probs, overfuelling & such. Remove it & buff the probe back to metal or just bung in a new one. They often work wonders when replaced.

NovaGuy1400SRi
06-07-09, 03:33 PM
sorry forgot to say, its a coilpack engine.

Thought the air filter may be choked a bit (k&n) so i took it off but made no difference, checked the plugs this morning and they look fine. engine has done around 7000 miles since being rebuilt, recent oil & filter change, think it was about 3000 miles ago.

Not sure if i have a spare map sensor, think i may have, will look it out and change it & see what happens, i unplugged the map sensor earlier & then it idles lumpy.

will check the cts too, the engine has been getting quite warm recently, fan is kicking in more often and has plenty water. Could be due to the recent hot weather though, had to top up the water this morning.

rallynova1200
06-07-09, 09:33 PM
when you hold it at a steady rev do the revs keep dipping and coming back again

NovaGuy1400SRi
07-07-09, 01:17 AM
dont think so, will check in the morning though.

NovaGuy1400SRi
08-07-09, 01:43 AM
Checked the cts the other day, was pretty clean, whatever was on it wiped off with my fingers, then i cleaned the intake air temp sensor, still not right, although i unplugged the cts earlier and it never made a difference to the way the car went which leads me to believe i need a new one, only thing that happened with unplugging it was the engine management light came on.

AlexW
08-07-09, 01:56 AM
try testing it mate, A guide can be found on topbuzz providing you have a multimeter.

Also check the wiring (mine had massive resistance/damage causing rough running)

NovaGuy1400SRi
08-07-09, 06:45 PM
Ended up just buying a new cts, put it in and car is still the same :(

Also tried another map sensor, no difference, changed the fuel filter, now running on vpower with ron plug on 98 but still no difference.

Did a compression test and all 4 cylinders are above 175psi.

NovaGuy1400SRi
08-07-09, 11:32 PM
starting to wonder if it could be the hot weather making the car not run properly, engine bay is getting quite hot.

just back from my mates house and the car felt a bit better and its quite cool outside just now. my k&n is on the end of the throttle body so will be getting hot air.

I have the top half of a standard sri airbox and i know where i can get a gsi airbox but it has the airflow meter so i'll use parts from the 2 and try a standard filter for a bit.

NovaGuy1400SRi
13-07-09, 12:29 AM
still no luck, changed fuel rail & injectors today, just wondering if it may be the fuel pump as it whines quieter when the car is revved, now struggling to rev higher up the rev range so wondering if the pump may be struggling under load?

AlexW
13-07-09, 12:50 AM
If its deffo the pump you can hear whining then see about changing it, if not check all the pipes, make sure its not trying to work harder than it should!

NovaGuy1400SRi
13-07-09, 01:12 AM
well the pump sounds normal, have to put your head in the boot to hear it, but when the car is revved, the pump seems to go quieter.

NovaGuy1400SRi
13-07-09, 03:51 PM
PROBLEM NOW SOLVED :d

Tried fuel pump earlier but the one i tried was fecked, took it down to my mates and he went to check timing, only the mark on the alternator belt pulley was well out, turns out it must have come slightly loose and pulled round a bit and worn the pulley so was giving the crank sensor a dodgy reading! my mate built it back up with weld and ground it down so it now seats properly again!

Chers for the help guys :)