PDA

View Full Version : rear suspension

brake-dust
06-07-09, 01:34 PM
every time i get air in the nova the f**king back spring pops out and rolls off, any idea how to stop this? is there some sort of clamp you can get? its dropped 40mm by the way

vaughanmc
06-07-09, 01:35 PM
Cable-tie your back springs to the back beam - That's what I've done with mines and they've never fallen out and I have 60's in the back of mine :)

brake-dust
06-07-09, 02:14 PM
cheers mate, will get some big ties later ;)

AlexW
06-07-09, 02:38 PM
I would have thought the answer to be stop being a dick and wrecking your car?

Andy
06-07-09, 02:45 PM
FLOL would give rep but i must spread the love

brake-dust
06-07-09, 03:03 PM

my cars not wrecked in the slightest, the cars used for rally and sprint perposes, vary rarely on the road

vaughanmc
06-07-09, 03:14 PM

Least his gets driven lol

Jack
06-07-09, 03:34 PM
lmfao @ instantly assuming he's a road warrior lol

What dampers do you have? I'd have thought even on standard dampers they shouldn't have enough room to pop out. I'd suggest just a couple cable ties should be enough to keep them in situ.

brake-dust
06-07-09, 03:36 PM
running full g max all round, it takes no force either, when i pick the back off the ground they still fall out lol

Stuart
06-07-09, 06:29 PM
travel limiters on the dampers FTW

let_nova
06-07-09, 06:32 PM

what a fuking tadger. whats your problem the past few weeks? ive seen many a post by you that is just pure sh1te TBH:mad:

AlexW
06-07-09, 06:41 PM
Well he didnt excatly say it was a rally and sprint car... If it is then surly it would be better to come up with another way to secure it to the car, more secure.

what a fuking tadger. whats your problem the past few weeks? ive seen many a post by you that is just pure sh1te TBH:mad:
Tbh i dont care.

Spudly
06-07-09, 06:42 PM
Have a read of trackdaynova's wip thread he made some kind of spring retainer to stop this happenin, basics of it was a threaded bar welded into the spring seat and a metal peice screwed up to it to retain the spring, it was quite likie that but have a look see and you will see what i mean:thumb:

Stuart
06-07-09, 06:47 PM
I made my travel limiters from an old seatbelt bolted at the bottom and top of the shock to stop it letting the beam fall lower than the springs need to get released

AlexW
06-07-09, 06:58 PM
Which is the sort of thing that rally people do, using chains and the like. Seen it before.

Nobby
06-07-09, 07:34 PM

:thumb:

Leeboo
06-07-09, 07:41 PM
AW06.. bit harsh.

Its quite weird that you have this problem mate... my Nova runs 60mm springs with std shocks at the rear but the springs haven't ever fallen out when I get air. Might happen sometime though..

let_nova
06-07-09, 07:43 PM
get shortned dampers? because if its a full kit they shouldnt do that... maybe its not the correct dampers for the kit

Lee H
06-07-09, 07:43 PM
Well he didnt excatly say it was a rally and sprint car... If it is then surly it would be better to come up with another way to secure it to the car, more secure.

Agreed.

Also I can't see why anyone would use G-Max suspension on a car that was being driven as hard as that tbh lol

let_nova
06-07-09, 07:44 PM
budget racing/rallying everyone has to start somewere. not everyone can go out and by LEDA or the like

AlexW
06-07-09, 11:00 PM
Also I can't see why anyone would use G-Max suspension on a car that was being driven as hard as that tbh lol

Excatly..

If he can afford to run the car etc then surly he could save money and buy some decent stuff.

MK999
06-07-09, 11:11 PM
Because splashing 6k on a car then finding you don't enjoy it makes sense.

Rick Draper
06-07-09, 11:15 PM
Check straps FTW.

bmw156
06-07-09, 11:16 PM
i have never had this problem, as i have never jumped my car lol to scared tbh .. but i reckon the cable ties would work. and the seat belt idea is a good one lol

and o aw06 is being a childish **** as normal

has someone got pmt??

Ash
06-07-09, 11:24 PM
I've had the same problem getting my car through an MOT. In the end I refitted the standard springs. I thought the answer was to fit shorter shocks TBH. I assume the ones supplied with my AVO kit (KYB) were 'performance' standard lenght shocks and you need to spec the shorter one upon ordering ;)

George g
07-07-09, 12:04 AM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u247/n1lr3m/DSC01254.jpg

thats what some of the rally lads do, or they use chain instead. its well known that the springs can come out over jumps. there are many oher things that can be done, such as the seatbelt idea, or cable ties, the only problem with that is the springs are not guaranteed to land in the seats again...

HTH

have fun!

JimmyH
07-07-09, 12:17 AM
Are those shocks in upsidedown or is that the way there supposed to be?

Mcgowan
07-07-09, 12:17 AM
Thats well mad man! i used to run 60mm G-Max on standard shocks, never had any probs and my old Nova was always in the air!! However my brothers always used to fall out while just driving down the road near enough, so he just used man size cable ties:thumb:

burgo
07-07-09, 04:09 AM
thats pretty unlucky, even my bodged 120mm springs never fell out.

George g
07-07-09, 08:21 AM
Are those shocks in upsidedown or is that the way there supposed to be?

They are meant to be like that. I believe they are gravel spec upside down billies...

Stuart
07-07-09, 08:32 AM
I used cable ties and found them to be weak enough for me to pull the springs out with no real effort... therefore the straps went in.

brake-dust
07-07-09, 11:29 AM
thanks for the info guys, will have a play, i do 3 or 4 rally's a year tops and gets about 10 outings on the road a year so expensive equipment isnt worth it, mend and make do, and besides i need all my cash for my project nova.

AlexW
07-07-09, 11:44 AM
Im just wondering why they fall out in the first place, ive had 60mm springs in with standard shocks without them falling out?

Just seems odd.

Stuart
07-07-09, 11:51 AM
You can lower a car in two ways (well 2 ways via the springs)
make the spring softer but keep the length the same, so it comrpesses more (or make the spring progressice so its soft till it his the right ride height and then it gets stiffer)
or make the spring stiffer but shorten it (this is where the springs will start to fall out)

OR the springs arent falling out as you arent driving it hard enough lol