PDA

View Full Version : seized wheel nuts!

Tidy Max
06-07-09, 09:14 AM
my nuts have seized!

so far snapped a snap on bar, bent a wheel brace and almost knocked the nova off its stands trying to get this bloody wheel off!

Ive heated with this a blow torch, hit it with a hammer, wd40'd it, used a v.long bar all to no avail :(

My locking wheel nut key is stripping and one of the seized bolts is the locking wheel nut! is there any suggestions as to how i can get it off? cheers chaps

Gibbo
06-07-09, 02:19 PM
take the hubs off then drill them out or just drill them out all together

brainsnova
06-07-09, 02:49 PM
try using a heavy duty wheel brace with a bit scaffolding poll on the end. then copper grease all the bolts and only nip up the locking bolt and wrench up the rest.

Tidy Max
06-07-09, 03:31 PM
cheers lads, ill try the hub thing probably to be honest, the locking wheel key is pretty fubared :(

another ball ache!!

Welshy
06-07-09, 03:36 PM
shock the thread, get a chisle on the nut, hit it hard as fcuk a couple of times and it should indo with a screw driver :)

Tidy Max
06-07-09, 03:44 PM
welshy.... cowboy style, i like it!

will try that first mate, saves having to squeeeze behind the wheel, sturggling to get my bumper off and all, suppose the things not been off for 18 years, cant pop them stoopid clips off for the grill, ghey!

Welshy
06-07-09, 03:47 PM
lol, im a tyre technition, (post word for tyre fitter) ive done it loads, im not the strongest either so if i can do it anyone can lol

Tidy Max
06-07-09, 03:51 PM
lol will give it a bash, i have already smashed it with a hammer like but still! where abouts should i put the chisel?? to the side of the nut or directly head on to the top??

Welshy
06-07-09, 03:53 PM
on the top, make sure its not touching the wheel at all, it could shatter

Tidy Max
06-07-09, 03:56 PM
yeah mate will do, wouldnt want to damage my MINT luxe + wheels :)

Welshy
06-07-09, 03:56 PM
lol arnet they similar to cavvy expressions??

Tidy Max
06-07-09, 03:59 PM
just 14" bbs efforts! i wouldnt know what cavvy expressions look like tbh!

Welshy
06-07-09, 04:10 PM
ahhhh rite

MK999
06-07-09, 08:10 PM
Yeah similar to cav expressions /astra (?) champion

Welshy
06-07-09, 08:49 PM
cool, let me know how you get on mate :)

mowgli
06-07-09, 09:08 PM
did they get windy gunned on??? if so, get new bolts

twistysnovagte
06-07-09, 09:42 PM
impac socket with with long arm,if nothing then try to get a tyre bay to gun them off ^ ^ ^

Tidy Max
14-08-09, 11:26 AM
incase anyone was wondering.... they still aren't off :'( holding me back from dropping the engine out and as the van passed its mot today..(YAY!!!!!!!) i now have time to work on the nova!!

i don't know how to remove the hubs without taking the wheels off (is it a hard job?) im going to try and pop to machine mart at lunch time to buy a socket and blow torch so i can heat the socket and smash it on! but they dont have a MM in blackburn so i have to trek to preston, the super van will make it though lol

L14MNP
14-08-09, 11:28 AM
my nuts have seized!
lol
What can you say?

therealnovaboy
14-08-09, 11:44 AM
just removethe wheel and hub together then take it some where that hava an air gun to take them off. all you need to do is get the split pin out of the castle nut with wire snips or a chisel then undo the castle nut. take of the shock, botom arm tie bar and track rod end and the hub and wheel will come off together. it will be an easy job iff it comes off easy but the chances are the spline on the drive shaft wil be stiff as well. if your doing the rears its easier just removing the whole rear axle.

Tidy Max
15-08-09, 01:23 PM
well im in the garage now and cracking on, snipped out the split pin, then realised i don't have a 30mm socket!! which is really puzzling as i replaced the wheel bearings last year and didnt have to borrow any tools!

so im now going to go and buy one! just double checking it is a 30 and not a 32?

Welsh Dan
15-08-09, 03:07 PM
30mm IIRC.

Tidy Max
15-08-09, 03:24 PM
cheers dan. i was a naughty boyand posted the question in mechanical as i was in a big rush to go get the socket, got the nut off now, just trying to remove the shock.... then onto the tie bar and the other thing that realnovaboy mentioned... i expect ill get stuck but mayaswell try!!

General Baxter
15-08-09, 03:25 PM
iv just seen this thread,

im a bit worried about 'it nearly fell off the stands comment'

your cracking wheel nuts, on the floor please

burgo
15-08-09, 03:29 PM
iv just seen this thread,

im a bit worried about 'it nearly fell off the stands comment'

your cracking wheel nuts, on the floor pleasewho the fcuk are you?? wat you done with baxter

AlexW
15-08-09, 03:53 PM
lol I was thinking the same.

Southie
15-08-09, 04:49 PM
who the fcuk are you?? wat you done with baxter
It's called growing up lol

Spudly
15-08-09, 04:56 PM
who the fcuk are you?? wat you done with baxter

I was thinking this myself, its like him telling me to fit a rubber bung where my amp power cable passed through the bulkhead, id used the hole for the aerial wire and just pulled the rubber grommet out, i thought fudge me if baxter is telling me to put a grommet in then it must be bad lol

General Baxter
15-08-09, 05:01 PM
:p

Tidy Max
16-08-09, 02:29 PM
the passenger side of the car was on a stand as it had no wheel. the drivers side wheel was on the floor :thumb:

what i didnt mention was that the stand was made out of lego blocks lol

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
16-08-09, 03:00 PM
aha funny thing last weekend my weel nuts were seized and i got the weel brase out and tryed and i couldnt so i got a bit of bar and tryed still no so i thought why not stamp on it so i proceeded and stamped once nothing stamped again and the bar flung off it me in the face Lol and went into middle of the road(thank god no car was coming. ended up with black eye any way morrel of the storry if you do so with my idea make it work on the first stamp :L Joke Dont Try This At Home Moment.

General Baxter
16-08-09, 03:05 PM
or just know what your doing ;)

mowgli
16-08-09, 03:10 PM
just how low were you bent down when you kicked the bar?????

when i do stuff like that, i like to be standing up, with my foot on the end of the bar (2' snap-on) so i'm giving it about 400lb/ft of torque. if that doesn't work, then its oxy acetylene time.....

at work yesterday, we were doing the brakes on our merc sprinter van, which had only ever been dealer serviced before... the 19mm wheel nuts were actually distorted by the improper use of a windy gun. gas, followed by a 4' bar finally got them loose enough for our windy gun to work. it is a twin wheeler & we put an axle stand under the socket extn so we'd lessen injury.