PDA

View Full Version : Everyone look..Is it worth it for the thrill? Street Racing!

courtenaynova
15-02-03, 12:09 AM
Ok....I used to to a lot of street racing. Then I saw the side that I didnt know about. I started to see a lot of small accidents..minor bumps etc...but this one really hit hard!

As I was going to collect my yummy chinese on Thursday night...I arrived outside then as I pulled up I heard a really loud screeeeeeech...then a loud bang...then another loud bang. As I looked up...a Renault Clio was racing a Jap car down a narrow street when it lost control, hit another car and flipped onto its roof.

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=326

Anyway...the lad was lucky to get away with just a scratch to his cheek and no one was killed....HE GOT LUCKY THIS TIME, So did the public!

I just want to put the message accross to our 'younger' members that racing does not impress. The only place for racing is on a track...NOT THE STREETS! Merry Hill is a death trap...and so is 'Birmigham Wheels'...not the racing part..I mean the Saturday nights for those that live in or near Birmingham!

If you wanna race...join the real lads at a track day soon...its about ?60.

Its O.K to have a powerful car....BUT its not whats under your foot that counts...Its how and WHEN you know where and when to use it.

Thanx for your time lads.....Wot do you think???

Rob.

TaiTers
15-02-03, 12:22 AM
I have to agree totally.

Nice one m8 :wink:

Nova_Girl_SR
15-02-03, 12:23 AM
I used to think street racing was cool. Then last march my mate was hit by a scratter in an xr3i thinking he was cool by racing on the street. My friend died of massive head injuries. He was 16yrs old,funny,popular,had his whole life ahead of him and he was just an innocent bystander who got killed because of sumfing that could of been avoided.Is nearly a year since he died (march) and the pain of losing him never gets any easier. If only the lad who knocked him down was racing on a track and not on that road then my friend would still be around 2day.

Thats alls i have to say on the matter........ :(

bfuller
15-02-03, 02:18 AM
alcohol is a bigger killer on the roads, but nobody wants to become another government statistic. There is a time and a place, and hopefully most of us know when/where that is.

kevw
15-02-03, 10:50 AM
Theres a time and a place for everything. Its the minority that ruins it for the majority, thats how it will always be.

Just imagine if that car was a Nova, imagine the stick the Nova community would get. Do you reckon the Clio boys will get the same stick coz of that? I doubt it!

Anyway I tottally agree with you CourtenayNova.

K.

Ste_Nova
15-02-03, 01:26 PM
i street race in controled conditions out of town.... that looks like a city street!!!

courtenaynova
15-02-03, 01:39 PM
Where the accident was...the road has cars parked either side of the road...there is a chinese restaurant..a video rental shop...an off licence..and loads of houses. A built up area in Yardley Wood/Billesley. (Haunch Lane)

Ste_Nova
15-02-03, 06:04 PM
well thats just fucking stupid then

supernova1983
16-02-03, 09:46 AM
i cant see point in spending loadsa money on ur car making it look nice then messing it all up by racing not on streets anyway

Tazzy
16-02-03, 02:09 PM
i think i recognise that road CN!

i dont go up the track very often now, (wheels or merry hill) mainly cuz of work! but even still, i know its getting worst, and yes, us nova owners get so much slack, its pathetic and childish, its reallt sad to have comments at us just cuz we like novas!

at wheels, youre literally standing about a foot away on the kerb as a car speeds past you at around 70mph!

cruises are put in danger by other cruisers, yet its us 'nova boys' that get all the blame as its easy to blame us!

ppl dont realise that most of us modify our cars properly, were as the ren, pug, ford lads dont, in their poxy rusty fezzys, they annoy me! they stick on a cheery bomb, and they suddenly think that they are drving a supercharged mustang and that they are david coulthart!

mikeoxford
16-02-03, 11:33 PM
never seen you up town andy.......?

as for street racing i mean cumon in a built up area?

is no wonder on the TV you see this stereo typical image is it :evil:

_JH_
17-02-03, 12:05 PM
ppl dont realise that most of us modify our cars properly, were as the ren, pug, ford lads dont, in their poxy rusty fezzys, they annoy me! they stick on a cheery bomb, and they suddenly think that they are drving a supercharged mustang and that they are david coulthart!

evryone in this post thinks its wrong people stereotype nova drivers. i agree. why therefore, are you stereotyping drivers of other cars? there are those of us who do things right, and those of us who don't.

"the ren, pug, ford lads dont" open your eyes. some renault drivers do things properly, others dont. the same could be said of pug owners, and ford owners. vaux owners too. how many muppets have you seen driving 1.0 novas with peco back boxes, motorsport sunstrips, and sparco seatbelt pads, thinking they're the next jenson button? probably the same amount as you've seen doin the same in a fiesta.

if people genuinely wanna cut out street racing, and stop the tragic loss of life as mentioned above, then we need to stop blaming each other for our choice of car make, and start educating younger drivers about the dangers.

i think novas are class. but also like renaults, love the handling of most pugs, and think fords are great too. while i'm still building my nova, i'm whizzin around in a mk2 fiesta.

wisewood
17-02-03, 12:10 PM
Well said mate.

The stigma attached to owning a nova is much higher than most other cars... but that shouldnt mean we should all bitch about the owners of other cars. Each person has their own tastes and will drive a car that they like... and will, if they want to, modify it in a way that they like.

Educating people of all ages in the dangers of high speed driving would be a good idea if yuo ask me... teh best thing i have seen for this for some time is the speeding advert where the young lad is knocked down by the car which was doing 35 - but more needs to be done, more shocking images etc need to be shown but I doubt the television standards people would allow it.

djp_y2k
17-02-03, 06:29 PM
Got to agree. It may look good, and the people doing it may think its cool.

But its pretty dam stupid and can be dangerous.

LEAVE RACING FOR THE TRACKS. That is the best way to prove who has the fastest car or who is the best driver.

CP
17-02-03, 09:11 PM
Hmmm - I agree about the going to a race track thing but you aint never gonna see many boy racers there cos:
1. They are worried about losing face.
2. They are worried their car wont take the pace
3. Its relatively expensive esp when you factor in fuel.
4. By and large other boy racer opposition wont be there.

RobHardyUK
17-02-03, 11:08 PM
I got given my nova for my 18th and i get ALOT of stick for it.... especially from certain car drivers. And i go out and quite regulary find bastard company car drivers etc cutting me up... puting me at risk etc. I get youths wanting to fight, i get youths wanting to race (which i dont cos i only have a 1.2). But the thing is, if your like me, and havent got good power, and you did actually have a car with grunt, how many of you could say honestly you wouldnt retailiate against k**bs in there paxos etc? I aint saying i would go out asking for it like alot of drivers do.... :?

Evolution
18-02-03, 03:04 AM
I got my nova GTE two weeks ago, and have noticed that nearly everyone tries to race me. obviously not everyone, but in general...
They stream past me, and pull away from me at lights purley because i will not race on public roads. And then when i pull up in a car park i get them coming over telling me they ripped me :roll: no shit sherlock!
I never had this problem when i was in my 1 ltre nova, or my 1 ltre corsa, but with the GTE, its like being a street racer magnet.
I dont like being stereotyped as a nova boy or street racer but i wont fight it or try and proove anything, atleast not on public roads.

The only satisfaction i get is when i am being closely tailed in a 30 zone and then i reach a 60, drop a gear and leave them behind. It feels so good to be able to do that which i couldnt in the 1 litres.

wisewood
18-02-03, 09:34 AM
Evolution - if it bothers yuo that much take teh GTE markings and vinyl off - get yourself down to vauxhall and buy yourself a 1.2 badge and stick that on :lol:

They wont want to race you anymore, but if you wanted to you could make them look very silly indeed :D

toughy
20-02-03, 08:01 PM
i really think its ford owners who give us a bad name i mean baseball cap pointing to the sky, right arm high as poss on steering wheel, seat right back with shitty bass cd's blasting, i only ever see this with ford owners and its only ford boys that are num enough to try and race me. ive never had bother with any other car modders.......but FORD BOYS

RobHardyUK
20-02-03, 09:59 PM
Evolution - if it bothers yuo that much take teh GTE markings and vinyl off - get yourself down to vauxhall and buy yourself a 1.2 badge and stick that on :lol:

They wont want to race you anymore, but if you wanted to you could make them look very silly indeed :D

Heh :lol:

Jim
21-02-03, 01:42 PM
I'm fotunate to live in Milton Keynes where all the main roads are 60mph with roundabouts at each junction :D

I now have a car with a fairly quick engine in it, so if I do get someone in there rep mobile, or a young lad wanting to show off to his mates I'll occasionally :wink: drop it down a gear and let them know whats what. I don't do it all the time...honest...seriously, I don't :)

Jim

jkhilton
21-02-03, 03:08 PM
lmfao!! Jim, everytime I get a lift home with you we reach that one point on the roads where it has the bus lane and without fail you always put your foot down there!! it is cool though, cos it's as the car is coming out of a corner onto a long straight, so you get the feel of the power round the corner.
oh and I do remember a race you had down there aswell..........300zx..... :) he couldn't out accelerate Jims car till we got near to 60 or 70mph and then he started to move infront, but only just,then it was time to stop again for the next roundabout.