PDA

View Full Version : 8v 4-2 exhaust dimensions

jimbob-mcgrew
05-07-09, 03:16 AM
are all 8v 4-2 manifolds the same with the same angle exit for connection of the twin downpipe ?

and does anyone know if the length of the sr and gte twin downpipes are the same, as i have a 1.4 exhaust fitted to my 1.6 and its not quite long enough to clear the slighty deeper 1.6 engine, its touching the sump.

cheers

mikey14sr
05-07-09, 10:41 AM
Pretty sure the manifolds themselves are the same, but the downpipes have always been slightly different between engine sizes, usually in the length and angle of the single end that connects to the system.

Has yours had an engine sat on it out of the car? it's probably just bent?

mowgli
05-07-09, 11:26 AM
are all 8v 4-2 manifolds the same with the same angle exit for connection of the twin downpipe ?

and does anyone know if the length of the sr and gte twin downpipes are the same, as i have a 1.4 exhaust fitted to my 1.6 and its not quite long enough to clear the slighty deeper 1.6 engine, its touching the sump.

cheers

the 1600 is the same size externally as the 1400. the exhausts are very similar if not identical between models

has the donor got a bigger sump??

jimbob-mcgrew
05-07-09, 01:42 PM
Pretty sure the manifolds themselves are the same, but the downpipes have always been slightly different between engine sizes, usually in the length and angle of the single end that connects to the system.

Has yours had an engine sat on it out of the car? it's probably just bent?

^ awsome mikey, that means i can most likely keep my manifold and i want to source a 1.4 sr twin downpipe and front pipe to join to the rest of my 1.4 system.

i dont think its bent, its just a crappy aftermarket exhaust, thats been bodged a bit further, the triangluar box section that the 4 branches channel into is where the problem is, that bits almost layed flat on the underside of the sump. its like rizla paper clearence.

the 1600 is the same size externally as the 1400. the exhausts are very similar if not identical between models

has the donor got a bigger sump??

oh, strange why it wont fit in that case, ive had the 4-branch a while and was informed that it was from a 1.4, but it was previously running on the 1.2 with maybe 2cm clearance from what i can remember.

talking of sumps, the 1.2 sump looks very similar to the 1.6, do they have the same shape and layout of the 15 bolt holes, as my 1.6 one has an almighty dent in it, looks like its been run along a kurb, plus aload of scrapes.

cheers guys :thumb:
wish i had a digi cam so i could show u some of the bodgery i need to undo lol

djshaggeh
05-07-09, 02:17 PM
crappy aftermarket exhaust
Not bad considering it was free... :roll: it probobly fits crap coz you have completely butchered the rest of the exhaust. Sat fine on my 1.4 with plenty of clearence.

informed that it was from a 1.4
You have seen and been in the 1.4 when it was on there?

jimbob-mcgrew
05-07-09, 07:20 PM
yeh all aftermarket exhausts ive decided are crap. and mine is aftermarket, modified and standard, all roolled into one, which is ultra crap.

when it was a propper full system it was allright on yours tho i have to admit, which is confusing, i never saw it against the sump for a comparison tho, if 1.4's and 1.6's are the same, it musta been damn close to your sump too.

exhaust is the least of my probs with the car at the mo tho.