PDA

View Full Version : Knocking coming from suspention

NovaBoi92
04-07-09, 06:20 PM
its not cv joint, 100% sure. when i turn the steering wheel on full lock, left or right, as i start to drive off, or turn a corner (sometimes not always on full lock) there is a loud KLONK coming from the o/s wheel and i can feel the steering wheel wanting to turn fast in the direction im going. the only thing that i think it can be is that lip in the suspension strut that the spring sits next to, i dont know exactly what its called but this bit
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/NovaBoi92/untitled-2.jpg
when the wheels turn, i think that the spring is turning too and popping up on that lip, then the klonking sound is the spring bouncing off the lip back into the correct position on the strut. does this sound likely? or has anybody have this before and know what i could do about it?

and ive just realised i spelled suspension wrong lol

AlexW
04-07-09, 06:25 PM
I also get similar, well had similar untill i changed the tiebar (but due to a buggerd bush) Dont know what causes it but id agree with mike.

Mine also done it when pulling away from a stop at speed. Confused by it too.

Mark Sparks
04-07-09, 06:27 PM
could be the top strut bearing. Have you tryed jacking it up and turning it lock to lock by hand see wats moving.

NovaBoi92
04-07-09, 06:29 PM
yep, the top rubber bush is moving slightly. could this be whats causing the spring to move?

Mark Sparks
05-07-09, 06:10 PM
yeah, you could swop them over and see if still does it from the same side?

let_nova
05-07-09, 09:57 PM
yeah, you could swop them over and see if still does it from the same side?

what a ball ache. for all that hassle why not just fit new stuff. for all it costs.

genuinejoe
06-07-09, 08:22 PM
I had similar problem and it bugged me for ages and it was the TCA bush inner sleeve was worn and the bolt was moving and causing a knock when turning. Can you feel this knock in the body of the car when it happens?
Jack the car up remove the ball joint from strut and move TCA up and down on its own and this should give you a similar knock if its it!

NovaBoi92
06-07-09, 11:24 PM
yes can feel the knock in the body. the sound is coming from the top of the strut i noticed today. what is the tca? sorry :)

genuinejoe
07-07-09, 01:34 PM
Sorry, the bottom track control arm or wisbone that the ball joint bolts to was the problem in a wee nova we had. i would check that to see if it is it. Can you see the spring jumping or what makes you think its the top mount?

NovaBoi92
07-07-09, 01:47 PM
i got somebody to move the car on full lock, and i looked underneath. saw the top of the spring move a little bit, but thats definately where its coming from.