PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on changing door skins?

joff-turbo-nova
03-07-09, 04:28 PM
Hi all,

Need to change the door skins on the front door of my more door saloon - any tips from anyone who has done this on nova doors would be appreciated!

Cheers

Joff

XE PROJECT
03-07-09, 07:34 PM
Edit my previous post, telling you its not a task to take on when your asking about how to do it,

just seen your project thread, lash at it lad, just go through process

if your not sure ill posdt process we do at work

joff-turbo-nova
03-07-09, 08:52 PM
I would get some replacement doors IF I could find any - there just aren;t any second hands ones out there at the moment - rusty or otherwise!

I'm not planning on doing this till the autumn and would prefer replacing doors than putting new skins on to be honest! I'll keep my eyes peeled!

Joff

Balley
03-07-09, 09:03 PM
aare they the same doors as a 5dr, if so theres a bloke braking one on ebay

joff-turbo-nova
03-07-09, 09:57 PM
Yep - already emailed him - both are rusty.

Joff

John
03-07-09, 10:15 PM
Keep looking for some good second hand ones Joff, I skinned A pair of 2 door ones once, was a right pita, and didn't look all that good when done.

ade
05-07-09, 08:25 AM
sounds like XE projects volunteered to put a "how to reskin a door" thread together for us

lol

I'm not 100% but I know you need a special tool to fold the folds of the new door skin over the inner edges - can get them from frost auto restorers - I'm guessing you'll need to weld at the window edge section though...

mikey14sr
05-07-09, 10:47 AM
Spot-on Ade.

The lips that fold over are only bent about 90 degrees on a new skin, and needs to be crimped over the lip on the door frame (which is probably going to be partialy missing through rust). They're a bit of a pig to get lined up straight aswell apparently.