PDA

View Full Version : Taxing without a V5, but with car in your name?

MK999
02-07-09, 02:56 PM
Need to tax my car ready for it to go back on the road, but the DVLA are dragging their heels with the V5 (engine change)... everything I find seems to say I have to have it, but all relates to a change of ownership, if I am on the database as current owner and declare the changes to tax at the post office can I still tax the car?

Hobbit
02-07-09, 03:00 PM
iirc you need either v5 or reminder

MK999
02-07-09, 03:02 PM
well it's currently SORN, so no reminder, and no V5 as the DVLA still have it... It's not like I'm trying to tax a stolen car though, which is why the V5 rule is there, as it's in my name :confused:

Plug
02-07-09, 03:40 PM
You need the v5 unless you know anyone who can tax it trade for you

Jack
02-07-09, 04:56 PM
Does it show up on their vehicle license site with the new engine size? If so, you could try and do it online

General Lee
02-07-09, 05:08 PM
Does it show up on their vehicle license site with the new engine size? If so, you could try and do it online

iirc you need your document reference to do it online which is on the v5.

AlexW
02-07-09, 06:20 PM
To do it online your need the V5 number, but if you have anything from the V5, (like the 2nd page then you can use that) I done it the other day.

Jack
02-07-09, 06:22 PM
iirc you need your document reference to do it online which is on the v5.
Poo, forgot that

MK999
03-07-09, 12:09 AM
Nothings been changed yet, got a lift into town shortly after I posted this and the post office said I need to go to a DVLA office to do it. Gonna try that tomorrow morning. I can't see it being a problem if they can look up the reg number and pull up my details, if I have driving license (ie photo ID), bank cards, insurance documents etc on me :confused:

brainsnova
03-07-09, 12:15 AM
i was at my local dvla office today and my grandad used to get free car tax as my gran was disabled and the car was for her and now missing a family member he had to pay £215 for the year :cry:

scott.parker
03-07-09, 12:48 AM
Nothings been changed yet, got a lift into town shortly after I posted this and the post office said I need to go to a DVLA office to do it. Gonna try that tomorrow morning. I can't see it being a problem if they can look up the reg number and pull up my details, if I have driving license (ie photo ID), bank cards, insurance documents etc on me :confused:

Yep local office will sort you out chap, i was ****ting it, as i had no way of proving the cc change (eg, garage recept) so they just took my word, sorted the papper doc's (that im still waiting on) and then taxed the car for me.

Scott

MK999
03-07-09, 12:49 AM
Nice one, cheers for the info, I'm just using insurance as proof of engine change, as a sort of, why would I lie about it and pay more tax and insurance lol

edit: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to scott.parker again. You have been touched by my love recently lol