PDA

View Full Version : anyone fitted a gte 16v vent without painting bonnet?

alan b
02-07-09, 12:44 PM
right i wana get some air flwing around my engine bay and have a pair of astra gte vents here trouble is a dont wana have to paint the bonnet. anyone fitted one and just been careful with the grinder?lol whats the best way to cut the hole?

marc novataken
02-07-09, 12:52 PM
i would have thought it would be just about impossible tbh, especially if you want to get a decent paint match on the vents, i tries to do it to mine without having to paint the bonnet but went quite wrong lol

Jeff16v
02-07-09, 01:14 PM
I've just cut some vents in and a jigsaw did the best job. Make sure to mask well iver the cur area because the jigsaw skid scratched the bonnet outside the cut zone.

alan b
02-07-09, 01:24 PM
hhhmm and did the jigsaw noot warp the bonnet a bit on u? the vent is the same colour already so that dont matter and even if it didnt match it wouldnt really bother me!

marc novataken
02-07-09, 01:34 PM
well its definitely worth a go mate, youll never know otherwise. was probably just me doin a real bad job on mine lol

Jeff16v
02-07-09, 03:24 PM
hhhmm and did the jigsaw noot warp the bonnet a bit on u? the vent is the same colour already so that dont matter and even if it didnt match it wouldnt really bother me!

What i found is the more masking tape you put on the less the panel will distort. I used a rubber sanding block and a hammer to correct it and its fine.