PDA

View Full Version : best way to do up cam and crank bolts

jimbob-mcgrew
02-07-09, 11:17 AM
not happy with the tightness of these, engine might undo them in motion, they need to be fcukin tight dont they ?

can i use reverse on the gearbox to hold the engine in place to do the crank up ? the cam ill just have to wedge a screwy lewie under the mounting bolt to tighten it.

Plug
02-07-09, 11:21 AM
air impact gun ftw or a cordless one :thumb:

AlexW
02-07-09, 11:23 AM
Top one is never very tight btw. As long as they have threadlock and done to the right torque then dont worry.

jimbob-mcgrew
02-07-09, 10:12 PM
i wedged a screwdriver in the flywheel and got a breaker bar on it, estimated torque of 60nm's.

Benn
02-07-09, 10:15 PM
Ft is all thats needed on flywheel bolts as long as you have threadlocked them.

jimbob-mcgrew
02-07-09, 10:22 PM
tis the crank bolt benn lol

General Baxter
02-07-09, 10:22 PM
best way to do up cam and crank bolts
with a socket comes to mind

mowgli
02-07-09, 10:45 PM
get some loctite & use the haynes torque figures. park the car with the handbrake on & 1st gear engaged, and also get the foot brake pushed down with either an assistant or a hefty lump of wood. they will not come out.

saloonwoody
02-07-09, 10:48 PM
threadlok and a good wack with ur hand :)

jimbob-mcgrew
02-07-09, 11:37 PM
bit late to take it out now ? cambelts on, could i get away with undoing it a bit and dribbling some locktite on it, then back in FT ?

Rich
04-07-09, 05:53 PM
What engine? Dont need locktite on them ive never used it. Just give them a good smack with your hand to shock the bolt.

mikey14sr
04-07-09, 06:01 PM
On a small block 8v? I only ever stuck them in 3rd and gave them a good nip with a 1/2" ratchet, never had one come loose whilst running, and without threadlock.

The 1300 survived 9krpm too.

jimbob-mcgrew
05-07-09, 02:29 AM
think ive gone a bit mad givvin it 2 ish turns with a breaker bar ?
wont be why the engines squeeking will it ?

mowgli
05-07-09, 11:37 AM
think ive gone a bit mad givvin it 2 ish turns with a breaker bar ?
wont be why the engines squeeking will it ?

that may have pushed the pulleys over & they could be catching on the cover.......

its before moments like this that you should look at the haynes book & use a torque wrench... gm work out the torque figures for a reason, its not just to fill the service book up with numbers

ps. go and buy some new bolts and replace these ones before they snap off.

pps. use loctite, i didn't once & my crank bolt fell out. it was hanging there on the alt belt still in the pulley

AlexW
05-07-09, 11:42 AM
pps. use loctite, i didn't once & my crank bolt fell out. it was hanging there on the alt belt still in the pulley

Same reason i said about the loctite, had one try to leave the building!

jimbob-mcgrew
05-07-09, 01:20 PM
ah you may well be right there mowgli, as the sound got louder and quieter when i was wiggling the cambelt cover about as i thought it might be rubbing.

i dont have an astra haynes for figures or a torque wrench, and first time ive changed a cambelt before so was all my best guess.

nice one for letting us know tho, ill get onto that as soon as i can.

new bolt, loctite, not as brutal lol :thumb:

jimbob-mcgrew
05-07-09, 01:48 PM
can the crank bolt be taken out and replaced without the pulleys coming off ? i know the alternator job has a locating lug on it, if i kept pressure on the pulley, it should stay put whilst changing nuts ?

mowgli
05-07-09, 02:01 PM
both pulleys should be ok while you take the bolts out

AlexW
05-07-09, 02:07 PM
Yer and the torque settings will be the same as any 8v i would have thought?