PDA

View Full Version : overheating and getting annoyed.

nova_saloon
02-07-09, 12:13 AM
Got an xe and it keeps over heating even on the motorway when driving along just keeps getting hotter and have to turn the fan on!!! terrible i know. ive check the pump checked the thermostat and going to replace the sender to the guage in a couple of days. but is there any chance of there being an air lock and how would you go about getting rid of it?

GRUNT 16V
02-07-09, 10:43 AM
welcomr to nova xe ownership in summer !! the best thing to do is to either bridge the fan wires so its running all the time or run a switch to it so you can turn it on and off when you want . As for airlocks very rare i have never had one in over 10 years of ownership. by the way standard vauxhall thermostats open at 92 deg so fooking hot

mowgli
02-07-09, 10:48 PM
use a diesel stat... 88degrees.

jimbob-mcgrew
02-07-09, 11:31 PM
bloody hell 92... even 88 sounds hot to me, if you didnt have any coolant in there with the water, just water on its own, it would be damn near boiling point before the stat let it thru !

has anyone ever tried filling the cooling system with some thin oil lol can take a bit more punishment on the heat front

nova_saloon
03-07-09, 08:15 PM
took that stat out completely and it was still overheating, its that bad i have the fan on a switch and have it constantly on when driving home today and the faster i went the hotter it got! cruising at 70mph and its sitting on the three quarter mark , with the fan on! does that sound right to anyone? didnt make any difference when the thermostat was in, just took a tiny bit longer to warm

Leeboo
03-07-09, 08:27 PM
Not sure of cause but it shouldn't be running at 3/4 mark on gauge, especially at those speeds

jimbob-mcgrew
03-07-09, 08:42 PM
sounds dark, i got a similar prob on my 8v, does yer head in havving to constantly stare at the guage

nova_saloon
03-07-09, 10:03 PM
sounds dark, i got a similar prob on my 8v, does yer head in havving to constantly stare at the guage

oh yes just wondering is that expansion tank going to blow up anytime soon, but lasted a 3 hour journey in the heat like it, so im going to replace the sender unit and try a different gauge and if that doesnt work i might change the head gasket as water might be seeping into the bore but not really noticeing any water loss but i did go down a little. Really getting annoyed with it!