PDA

View Full Version : Diff outdrive stuck

MK999
30-06-09, 09:41 PM
The diff outdrive on my gearbox (the splined piece that the driveshaft slots into) has slipped round and seems to now be happily sitting between the spider gears on the diff. Whats the best way of getting it out? I can't pull it out with my fingers, or get anything like a screwdriver near it, and I can't see a way of taking the cover plate thing off without a bearing puller or something.

rallycraig
30-06-09, 09:47 PM
are you refering to the splined side gears in the diff?? have you tried taking the lower diff pan off to give you more access?? you can take the diffs out the boxes in 10 mins if it come to it.

MK999
30-06-09, 10:07 PM
Yeah the splined gears, haven't tried removing the cover plate but I will do when I get chance to be on the car again. Can probably push it through from underneath which will be easier than trying to pull greased up machined metal! just a shame I already put brand new oil in it :tard: If it does come to it how does the diff come out? I can't see how the plate on top/around where the splined gear sits would come out, or do you need a proper puller of some kind?

AlexW
30-06-09, 10:09 PM
See articals section.

MK999
30-06-09, 10:19 PM
okay, castle nut, easy enough I guess, hopefully it won't come to that though. Cheers for the help