PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me an Alarm System

Matt
30-06-09, 11:00 AM
Just after a few recommendations on what alarm system I should get fitted in my car. I'm looking for decent a brand (Toad/ Clifford etc) but to be fairly reasonably priced. Let me know which kits you've had experience with and which ones you would say to avoid or go for.

Also is it best to take the car to a place to have it installed or would you say it's easy enough to do myself?

Cheers.

AlexW
30-06-09, 11:07 AM
Id always say get a pro to fit it, then if its a thatcham approved alarm the insurance will notice it and proplery knock off 20p lol

I do have to say like my usual, gemini alarm, after fitting toads/cliffords i also know the problems with them, and all the damm false alarms!

Nick J
30-06-09, 11:23 AM
Matt,

I have a mate in York who has worked with auto-electrics and novas coincidencely for years. If you were to bring the car here he would supply and fit a quality system for you. From what I can remember he has worked with all the top brands clifford/toad etc and knows his stuff. He did my mrs dad's mx5 last year for around £180 Iirc which was a cat2 alarm/immob with c/l and one or two other capabilities. I can pm you a number if your interested fella.

Nick.

L14MNP
30-06-09, 11:25 AM
I recommend a Clifford Concept 600 G3 (iirc that's the name).

brainsnova
30-06-09, 11:30 AM
id say toad Ai606 :thumb:

Lee H
30-06-09, 11:36 AM
I recommend a Clifford Concept 600 G3 (iirc that's the name).

Pretty sure Clifford don't do the Concept 600 anymore and are on G5 now, think the 650 is the new equivalent.

I have a Concept 600 G4 on mine and its been good, was pretty expensive at the time though.

tony k
30-06-09, 11:44 AM
i would say clifford ive got the concept 650,only problem i had is the proximity sensor (i think thats how you spell it) went abit doo lally,but its only a small and quick fix,all alarms have ther problems in there time

L14MNP
30-06-09, 11:45 AM
Pretty sure Clifford don't do the Concept 600 anymore and are on G5 now, think the 650 is the new equivalent.

I have a Concept 600 G4 on mine and its been good, was pretty expensive at the time though.
My bad mate, I meant the 650 G5. That's what I have, any Clifford Concept seems to be a decent sytem though as you say.

skidmarkz
30-06-09, 12:21 PM
or the Toad "Sterling one" - CAT-1, and you can get them off ebay with the certificate, fill in what ya like then send it off lol

£120 gets you a full kit and they are simple to fit

J :thumb:

BIGS
30-06-09, 12:23 PM
id say toad Ai606 :thumb:

+1 :thumb:

GRUNT 16V
30-06-09, 01:03 PM
toad !!!1 clifford go wrong all the time

Mint FRST
30-06-09, 01:18 PM
An alarm is only as good as who fits it...

Had Clifford and Toad on some of my motors, would go for Toad as your car wont be able to use all the Clifford 'gimmicky' features...

My penny's worth anyhow...

Lee H
30-06-09, 02:05 PM
toad !!!1 clifford go wrong all the time

Depends who fitted it :roll:

draper
30-06-09, 02:09 PM
another vote for the toad ai606 here (although havent they phased them out now and replaced it with something else)

Ernie
30-06-09, 02:27 PM
Toad ai606 as i have one sat in my garage that i had removed from my old nova gsi.
I think the certificate is still with it and know somebody that can refit and validate the new certificate.
I know the alarm was around the £400/£500 mark but open to offers on it.
I would have to dig it all out first.

Jack
30-06-09, 02:48 PM
DIY fit fo' sho' on a Nova, its a doddle. Unless the insurance saving greatly outweighs the additional expenditure. Plus with self-fitting you can waggle in extra bits and wire it in properly instead of just running it off the interior light lol

I had a microscan alarm on my old one, that was a bit shonky tbh. I have also worked with a couple of Falcon alarms from ebay, for a cheap unit they're pretty good.

Matt
30-06-09, 05:08 PM
Cheers for the suggestions.

Think I'm going to look into a Toad system and play it safe and have it professionally fitted.

Matt,

I have a mate in York who has worked with auto-electrics and novas coincidencely for years. If you were to bring the car here he would supply and fit a quality system for you. From what I can remember he has worked with all the top brands clifford/toad etc and knows his stuff. He did my mrs dad's mx5 last year for around £180 Iirc which was a cat2 alarm/immob with c/l and one or two other capabilities. I can pm you a number if your interested fella.

Nick.

Your mate sounds ideal and very reasonable from the sounds of it! Going to look to see if theres anywehere decent local that can install it for me first though. Will definately bear him in mind if I can't find anywhere.

brainsnova
30-06-09, 05:29 PM
you can get the ai606 for around £100 or fitted £200. i have fitted 4 and although there is plenty wires as you work through them its pretty straight forward and solder and heat shrink will make it look very tidy if you fit it yourself :thumb:

Nick J
30-06-09, 06:00 PM
Depends who fitted it :roll:

Agreed.... My nova has the clifford G5 and its always been faultless.

sparkie1401
30-06-09, 06:20 PM
Agreed Toad Ai606, ive had toad for years, been a good system

dj_wudgey
01-07-09, 01:24 AM
ive got a clifford concept 650 had it for a few years now and ive never had problems with it!! was not cheap but its worth it!!

Mboasty
01-07-09, 08:41 PM
go for a thatham aproved cobra alarm, simple but efective & value for money.

ade
01-07-09, 11:36 PM
Alarms are pretty much redundant nowadays - people are too scared to challenge a car criminal (fear of attack/ death) - the police are too slow to respond by which tile the cars long gone (unless youre v lucky) and mst decent car criminals can bypass a 1/2 decent alarm system in less than a minute.

Ive a troad system on my SR - its good and loud and came with the car when bought.

My red car though I'll fit a basic alarm with door sensors myself and a kill switch hidden somewhere on the dash.

Rich
04-07-09, 03:14 PM
Another vote for toad ai606, had it on my last nova never had a problem. Good value aswell compared to cliffords i found. Clifford usually has more features that wouldnt go in a nova anyway

tomo06tomo
04-07-09, 04:01 PM
try a shotgun on a piece of string thats what we do on the estate. when they open the door caplow!

dj_wudgey
04-07-09, 07:52 PM
Alarms are pretty much redundant nowadays - people are too scared to challenge a car criminal (fear of attack/ death) - the police are too slow to respond by which tile the cars long gone (unless youre v lucky) and mst decent car criminals can bypass a 1/2 decent alarm system in less than a minute.

Ive a troad system on my SR - its good and loud and came with the car when bought.

My red car though I'll fit a basic alarm with door sensors myself and a kill switch hidden somewhere on the dash.

sod that my sr is alarmed up to the b*llocks but id chalenge sum one trying to steal my car no problems!! they would have to answer to the base ball bat!!

ade
05-07-09, 08:20 AM
lol - thats coz your a nutter wudgey