PDA

View Full Version : soldering

tony k
29-06-09, 01:43 PM
i ws trying to solder my igntion wires up over the weekend,had no joy as my soldering iron decided that it didnt want to work anymore,plus aint solderd for a while,so abit out of practice,was looking at just getting some connectors and crimping them together,is this ok to do as well as soldering them together:thumb:

brainsnova
29-06-09, 02:40 PM
as long as the crimps are tight they should be ok and those thick wires at the ignition are hard to solder sometimes due to the thickness of the wire.

GRUNT 16V
29-06-09, 03:09 PM
Nothing Beats Solder And Some Heat Shrink ! In My Veiw ! Crimp Connectors Are Sh1te

L14MNP
29-06-09, 03:12 PM
Solder and heat shrink FTW. Be sure you tin up first too.

Ernie
29-06-09, 03:35 PM
As above solder and heat shrink.
If you tin up(heat wire with the iron then melt solder in)each end you wish to join then sodler the 2 ends together is the easyest way or wind the 2 ends together and tin them wile wound together.
After many years of rc car racing you soon learn to solder well.

Stuart
29-06-09, 06:54 PM
Nothing Beats Solder And Some Heat Shrink ! In My Veiw ! Crimp Connectors Are Sh1te

yeah because car manufacturers havent got a clue about how to make looms lol

loggyboy
29-06-09, 09:29 PM
Solder isnt used as much in cars as it becomes brittle, crimps keep the wire flexible. I good quaility crimp (and a good crimping tool) are more than adequate for a good reliable connection.

tony k
29-06-09, 09:51 PM
cheers guys ive tried soldering them,gonna try and get a new soldering at the weekend so see how i get on,ive got a good crimping tool aswell,just wanted to get everyones opinions on it