PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear - Veyron vs McClaren - Who won?

The Simps
29-06-09, 02:58 AM
I sky+'d TG tonight but it cut off recording just as they screached off the line - aaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!!

:eek: :cry:

Mazz
29-06-09, 06:12 AM
http://www.rlslog.net/top-gear-s13e02-ws-pdtv-xvid-river/

srs1
29-06-09, 07:45 AM
the veyron and just.
the f1 pulled away and left the veyron for dead, but after half it started pulling the gap back and took the win by about a cars length

ade
29-06-09, 09:46 AM
Veyron may have won but it lost big time in that race.

As Hammond rightly pointed out the McLaren is "much" cheaper and for a car that over 18 yrs older the McLaren is some bit of kit!

AlexW
29-06-09, 09:50 AM
Ahh goodie, my sky crashed just before that :(

Jack
29-06-09, 10:15 AM
Different types of car IMO. First thing I said to my mate as they lined up was "the Mclaren will have it off the line but the Veyron will stonk it over the finish" lol

The Mclaren is a racecar, designed for going fast round a track. The Veyron is a glorified GT car; hence why the latter kept going whilst the Mclaren ran out of puff at higher speeds/greater distance

loggyboy
29-06-09, 10:33 AM
lol at McClaren.. poor old Bruce.

Veyron won by a lot more than a cars length, was about 6. and the mclaren costs more than the bug, at least at todays values. they should have used the race spec gt mclaren to give the veyron a better challenge.

L14MNP
29-06-09, 10:35 AM
^ All true. For the driving position alone the McClaren F1 will always own most others though IMO.

Ben
29-06-09, 11:54 AM

As Hammond rightly pointed out the McLaren is "much" cheaper and for a car that over 18 yrs older the McLaren is some bit of kit!

As Hammond rightly pointed out the stig was driving the mclaren as its value is more than £2million!

dj_wudgey
29-06-09, 12:02 PM
As Hammond rightly pointed out the stig was driving the mclaren as its value is more than £2million!

took the words from my mouth dude!!

BRoadGhost
29-06-09, 01:41 PM
Dunno how they can justify 22K service costs?

Maybe I should pop down and quiz G

L14MNP
29-06-09, 03:18 PM

"If we come together, run and meet at the border" lol

loggyboy
29-06-09, 04:16 PM

its also worth noting that the age of the cars themselves is not as relevant as there is 'only' 12 years between the designs of the cars which is a fairer comparison.
Not taking anything from the F1 But even the oldest dec 93 version can only be 15.5yrs older than a 09 bug... Hammond = FAIL at math

Lee
29-06-09, 10:41 PM
Another comment Hammond made was 'the Bugatti is faster on paper, but what about the real world?'

IMO you will rarely if ever take your supercar to those speeds, but what you will do a lot is pointing and squirting. So TBH I think the F1 is far quicker in 'the real world'

Jack
29-06-09, 11:22 PM
but what you will do a lot is pointing and squirting.
I think if you drove either through your average town center on a saturday night, the pointing and squirting would be done mostly by the onlooking young fellows in saxos and corsas lol

Dar
29-06-09, 11:31 PM
Sounds like I was the only one supprised that the Veyron got beat off of the line. I firmly thought the the Veyron would beat the F1 hands down in a straight drag race. On track the F1 would make the Veyron look like it was going backwards!

They should have got the Stig to do a run in each car and then made a composit video. That would have been a fairer test.

Paul
29-06-09, 11:37 PM
i was really hoping they would do a powerlap in the F1

stupot89
29-06-09, 11:38 PM
i agree dar that would be good to see

Asa-James
29-06-09, 11:47 PM
Sounds like I was the only one supprised that the Veyron got beat off of the line.

4 turbos = at least a little bit of lag...

i read an arguament once about the two cars, where the situation was 4 cars moving at 40mph, 200 yards from the corner.

the F1 would pull out, foot down and be round all 4 with room to slow down for the corner

the bug would pull out, foot down and once going would onl be past the first car before having to pull in for the corner.

F1 every time for me.

Lee
29-06-09, 11:51 PM
I wasnt the least bit surprised the F1 thrashed the Bug off the line. F1 is made mainly of carbon and weighs next to bog all. The Veyron is made of mahogony and lead.

TBH that makes the Veyron uber impressive, but not the fastest off the line by a long shot.

wwmnw
30-06-09, 02:17 AM
Mclaren F1 is my faveourite car but the XP1 has the nicer colour, I used to have a huge poster on my wall of the XP1.

Random facts w00t. XP1 has better acceleration but the F1 has a higher top end by approx 20 mph, F1 LM 240 mph XP1 220 mph although the F1 LM has been unofficially recorded at 245 mph.

Dar
30-06-09, 08:17 AM
With all that torque and 4WD I am still supprised that the F1 beat it 'off the line'. The fastest car I have seen 'leave the lin'e at a sprint is a 4WD Lancer. The single seaters i.e RWD, more power to weight, lighter etc etc infact better in every single way! Fail to get the initial bite that the 4WD system gives.

However having said that there is a faster car and that is RWD. However I am talking about the initial get away.

A nice comparison site http://bugattiveyron164.com/

But meh who cares what people on the internet think.