PDA

View Full Version : Redex....

AlexW
29-06-09, 12:23 AM
Anyone ever tried it? Ive had err intersting experiance, stuck some in my car, ran really rough for about 2days and then was fine, havnt noticed any differance though.

Anyone else had experiance with redex?

novaguy08
29-06-09, 01:13 AM
yeah ive used it, when its needed it makes a difference. if its caused rough running youve used too much (ie put a fiver in a 2 tank bottle or something similarly moronic lol) if the tanks full of crap that will also start making its way into the fuel filter so that will need changing shortly

peester
29-06-09, 07:08 AM
had a hit in the mid 90's with cotton eyed joe..?

General Baxter
29-06-09, 07:31 AM

tune lol

AlexW
29-06-09, 09:25 AM
lol

It was put in with a full tank of fuel (first time ive ever filled up my car all the way lol)
I thought i might as well try it seing as it was free lol

ade
29-06-09, 09:44 AM
Why you wanting to add it...

redex cleans your fuel system. Any additives ae suspect imo. Last time I used redex is cleaned more than my fuel system and listerally within miles of adding it my head gasket went! Although I think it may have been on the way out before then as car was running lumpy beforehand.

You could try it but if you do read instructions fully and then fit a fuel filter to stop fuel system getting all glogged. Although TBH its likely if the cars running lumpy to start with its prob summut else (air leak at manifold for example).

AlexW
29-06-09, 09:46 AM
I never expected it to help in any way, but knowing the history of my car i thought i might aswell try. Hasnt cost me anything, and its not excatly done any harm.

GRUNT 16V
29-06-09, 10:32 AM
lol THEY WERE CALLED THE RED NEX!!!!!!!!

vaughanmc
29-06-09, 12:38 PM
Redex isn't the best of stuff mate, try some Wynn's or Forte

I put Redex in mines and about a day later the car wouldn't fire up, then it ran on 3 then it started running normal

After loads of thinking and tonnes of black reek later we realised it was that crappy Redex - Not really reliable lol

Can't fault Wynn's though - My Nova failed its MOT with emissions and we fired some Wynn's in it and it cruised the MOT a week later :thumb:

novaguy08
29-06-09, 02:44 PM
To tell the truth ive never had any problems with redex, its only a problem if its not used right! Yes it cleans things in the fuel lines & injectors and yes all additives are suspect but like i said earlier if your tank is full of crap its going to get loosened and sink to the bottom of the tank and soon after its going to head to the fuel filter and the constant build up of crap coming into the filter will cause rough running till it stops & if your lucky enough not to have a blocked filter then you will have better running........... ade, i dont think that you can blame redex for your headgasket failure if it was on the way out before you added it, im pretty sure that it wouldnt have even got to the injectors after a few miles!

Southie
29-06-09, 03:00 PM
As long as you dont put the full bottle in and follow the instructions then you'll be fine.

I once put a big full bottle in (when 17) in to my 1.0 it went like fook but obviously the envitable happened. It ran out of the rocker cover then a few weeks later wouldn't stop smoking blowing the valves and kabooooooooom :roll: lol

General Baxter
29-06-09, 05:17 PM
this stuff is ace, i put 10 bottles in my moms old 1.3 cvh engine with 1/4 tank of fuel in,

lucky it was going to the scrappers

dan16v
29-06-09, 05:29 PM
Try putting it straight down the bores as instructed and leave for a while, re fit plugs, start up, and witness THE best smoke screen ever!

AlexW
29-06-09, 05:33 PM
lol

JordyzNova
29-06-09, 05:33 PM
forte ---- gas treatment is good ?

kieran jackson
29-06-09, 08:06 PM
Try putting it straight down the bores as instructed and leave for a while, re fit plugs, start up, and witness THE best smoke screen ever!

i done that once with my mum standing behind the car as i started it she was not happy lol

Stuart
29-06-09, 08:19 PM
tbh you are better off running a tank full of poncey 97ron fuel through.. costs about the same and is less likely to pose problems