PDA

View Full Version : Rear arches on hatchbacks

Southie
28-06-09, 09:41 PM
So I've put another set of alloys on my car the other day and have gone for a drive today and the rear left is catching when I put my foot down. Don't put my foot down ain't an option by the way. lol oh and three door. ;)

Basically I want to fold the lips on the arches without cutting so what have you guys/gals found the best way without cracking the paint without taking to a bodyshop?

Cheers
David.

Benn
28-06-09, 09:47 PM
Heat them up, the hammer and dolly, or heat them up and jam something round in there and roll forward, the wheel pulls it thru and rolls the lip as you go.

Southie
28-06-09, 09:55 PM
Simple but affective cheers Benn. I've had a block on wood that I tried holding against the lip and tapped with a hammer but was scarred to hit too hard incase it cracked.

Benn
28-06-09, 10:03 PM
Sadly cracking is almost always gonna happen. But heating them up will help.

Southie
28-06-09, 10:09 PM
Well because of the tyre scrubbage I now have a nice collection of rubber on the lips (that sounds wrong lol) so should be able to set fire to something he he.

JordyzNova
28-06-09, 11:17 PM
just get an air saw and cut the inside of the arch and make a line

cut a little slit to the egde of the inner side of the arch and go along untill its lond enuff to clear the wheel

ill get a pic how ive done it tommorrow lol

AlexW
28-06-09, 11:21 PM
Lovly, so youve turned a already rust prone car into a rust bucket... and you problery cut through the spot welds.

JordyzNova
28-06-09, 11:24 PM
underseal :D

Nobby
28-06-09, 11:37 PM
Lovly, so youve turned a already rust prone car into a rust bucket... and you problery cut through the spot welds.

if you havent got anything to say about the thread then dont stop spamming!!:witch: cut the lip off with an air saw much neater job doesnt crack the paint and is better imo because where the paint cracks when hammering it will be fresh so is still rust prone!!!

Benn
29-06-09, 08:22 AM
Sorry i agree, dont cut the lips. You'll cut the welds off and it will open up the skins. Even undersealing them back up youve opened up a huge water trap.

AlexW
29-06-09, 09:32 AM
Im not just spamming, if somone was to search this in a while why would they want well rubbish advice. Your lose the strengh of the arch, and as benn said it will open up the two skins.

I think id rather risk cracking the paint and having to respray the whole 1/4 than to cut anything.

Southie
29-06-09, 09:59 AM
Well cheers for the fight erm I mean help lol

I wasn't going to cut them anyway but was a thought a one point until I realised by doing so would also weaken the arch.

AW06 why is everyone getting at you theses days. :roll: Have you pi55ed a lot of people off?

AlexW
29-06-09, 10:08 AM
Apparently i have. Meh

mikey14sr
29-06-09, 01:23 PM
I agree with AW06 and Benn, cutting the lip beyond the spotwelds weakens the car, and no amount of underseal will stop the water getting in, as the sealer above will come away from the outer skin and any moisture in the car will drip down into the gap.

Far better to give the inner lip a good clean, fold it up almost fully, slap some seam-sealer in the gap and then continue to fold it flush. This way retains all the strength and seals it all right up. I also use this method when replacing the outer arch where the inner arches lip has rusted away, having the seam-sealer inside the fold helps bond it all together.

Folding them more than half-way invariably ends up with the paint lifting or cracking anyway, you'll just have bite the bullet and get the paint sorted.

matt_vaughan
29-06-09, 02:43 PM
Doesnt rolling the lip just create a channel where water can collect anyway?

Southie
29-06-09, 02:56 PM

This is why you use the seam sealer. :)

Well thanks for all your help guys I'll be having a go this week at getting them sorted. :thumb:

Benn
29-06-09, 10:29 PM

As said, with the rolled flat you can seal them in.
A good trick is to put the sealent in there then roll them, this sandwhichs it in a seals the gap. Then go over the top and they will be fully sealed.

mikey14sr
29-06-09, 11:02 PM
I agree with AW06 and Benn, cutting the lip beyond the spotwelds weakens the car, and no amount of underseal will stop the water getting in, as the sealer above will come away from the outer skin and any moisture in the car will drip down into the gap.

Far better to give the inner lip a good clean, fold it up almost fully, slap some seam-sealer in the gap and then continue to fold it flush. This way retains all the strength and seals it all right up. I also use this method when replacing the outer arch where the inner arches lip has rusted away, having the seam-sealer inside the fold helps bond it all together.

Folding them more than half-way invariably ends up with the paint lifting or cracking anyway, you'll just have bite the bullet and get the paint sorted.

As I said earlier........

Plug
29-06-09, 11:12 PM
ive always got a wet towl on the arch and used a grinder

Count Vaux Alot
29-06-09, 11:17 PM
Sorry i agree, dont cut the lips. You'll cut the welds off and it will open up the skins. Even undersealing them back up youve opened up a huge water trap.

Agreed.