PDA

View Full Version : My new/first Nova =]

FunkYou
13-02-03, 02:18 AM
After having an offer off a total stranger on the net about buying a nova off him for ?50 i finally gave in as i knocked him from ?75 :D A SR wannabe Nova 1.2 Diamond 5spd, on a H plate.

He lived 100miles north of Cardiff in the grubbiest town ive ever been, the kid was a middle man for his mother and turned out to be 15, and surrounded by the "Taffy Massive", at this time im kinda troubled. I took a look around the car and it was immaculate, i have all the docs and everything IS legit after a few calls. WHYS IT SO cheap?! theres a large spot of rust in the engine bay on the drivers side above the wheel arch, heres a pic....
http://freewebs.com/alexd/novrust.jpg

Appart from a blower that doesnt work and a rear left light, this is the ONLY faults with the car, it fires up straight away first time...oops actually, thats a lie. the car will not start initially as if the car has no power at all, theres not even a click. But if i turn the key over, bring it straight back and turn it over again in one movement sorta thing it fires right up. the little 15 year old, his mum, and is po$$e are all telling me its the solenoid on the starter motor :?

Do the symptoms match up ? to the solenoid "sticking" ? and is that rust repairable. tomorrow im taking the front bumper off to see what thats hiding :P ill let you all know...

Cheers All

mikeoxford
13-02-03, 10:13 AM
cant see the pic i assume its our linux system at coll

but the solenoid seams feasable for the starter yes

also try the key switch (black box on the end of the igntion barrel)

mikeoxford
13-02-03, 10:13 AM
oh and welcome to novaload by the way 8)

Alex
13-02-03, 10:49 AM
you will have to get that arch welded up mate

Alex
13-02-03, 10:49 AM
oh. Welcome to NL as well :lol:

FunkYou
13-02-03, 07:34 PM
Hehe cheers guys, pleased to meet ya :)

i been told by a mate theres too much welding under the car to bother, so im debating wheather to get a new shell now :(

mikeoxford
13-02-03, 08:10 PM
Hehe cheers guys, pleased to meet ya :)

i been told by a mate theres too much welding under the car to bother, so im debating wheather to get a new shell now :(

probly why it was cheap then

mikeoxford
13-02-03, 08:10 PM
is the pic workin? :?

FunkYou
13-02-03, 08:16 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/alexd/novrust.jpg go there :P

MattyWoo
13-02-03, 08:26 PM
That looks pretty bad mate!! i thought mine was bad thats the worst ive seen along that seam

FunkYou
13-02-03, 09:03 PM
theres a couple of holes in the floor and around the rear suspension mounting theres also rust, its not looking good, but as said before the body is in A1 condition and the engine is the same...

its been mentioned that gettigng a new chassis for the car could be an option, what does ne 1 think of this? is thins a no-hoper ?

FY

mikeoxford
13-02-03, 09:10 PM
MOT failure :?

Aragorn
13-02-03, 09:45 PM
assuming the wings and doors etc are all ok i spose u could simply get a shell from a scrapyard that has a good chassis and fucked wings/doors and swap the bits about to make one decent motor outta it

FunkYou
13-02-03, 11:47 PM
Yes, the doors, wings, etc. Are all immaculate.

is there a rough price im looking at to pick up a shell, and what would i be after? just the chassis ?

mikeoxford
14-02-03, 12:06 AM
www.novarally.co.uk

speak to colin smith and say mike oxford sent you

locky
14-02-03, 01:19 AM
ALEX! this bloke lives 2 drs down from me lmfao! im gonna b checkin out the car on sunday so il post up wot needs 2 be done! im sure il sort his car out! hez a nice guy, known him 4 yrs, must av spoke 2 him thousands of times! nice 2 c u on the site!

FunkYou
14-02-03, 01:25 AM
hehe cheers for the intro locky mate, ure too kind :D, tis classy to have a Nova 'Xpert on the same street, hoping to be up with u big boys soon :D

cheers for the help so far too guys, n1 mike!

locky
14-02-03, 09:27 AM
LMAO@ xpert! not quite, but youve seen me up till al hours takin bits apart, at least the summer is on its way and i can then start on the late late shift lol!
As for the rust, still cant see ne pics so il get under it on sunday! ive bought some stuff off novarally, hez ok i thought! got my brakes off him!
If ur gonna re-shell it, i no of a few scrappys about, or just get the yellow ads and look at all the cheap novas there if ur on a budget!

burgessovsalford
14-02-03, 11:00 AM
http://www.loot.com/scripts/lootsite.dll?search&query=nova%20shell

nova shell for ?70ono on the loot with engine & fully primed, bargain!

dunno if its anywhere near u tho...?

FunkYou
14-02-03, 02:52 PM
that would have been amazing if it where in cardiff :)

cheers for looking tho mate!

hehe locky, aye, cant count the amount of times ive walked past and seen you doing something different to the car...must say the digi dash was the funniest, all the lurvely sodering :D

FunkYou
16-02-03, 11:27 PM
Nova's Goin :cry: the infamous lockys came and took a look, and basically wrote her off, now i gotta strip her of all the good stuff and send her to the scrappy in the sky, to the nova afterlife....shes going to a better place :cry: :(

So ill now be left nova-less, time to get another and try try again :D

FY

burgessovsalford
17-02-03, 10:20 AM
When you go for your next nova look for a good solid body as the most important thing & work from that. As engines can easily be replaced & other body parts. But once the chasis/body starts going its GAME OVER.

Good luck m8! :D

_JH_
17-02-03, 11:36 AM
if its not too late, there was a k reg nova rollin shell in adtrader last week. its in lampeter. have a look.

locky
17-02-03, 09:37 PM
Well when i saw it iv NEVER seen anything like it! there the rear beam bolts onto thechassis, the chassis had SPLIT right the way around, go over a good bump and itl snap off 4 defo! the front drivers side engine bay, well, it wasnt! just a massssssisve rust hole running all the way along!
Sorry bout that Alex, but it aint safe m8, im sure ull pick somthing up soon for a good price il keep my eyes open 4 ya! did u get the piece of paper and do a list of things 2 take b4 it goes?

FunkYou
17-02-03, 10:33 PM
dereck, i need something closer to cardiff mate, cheers for looking...

locky, im stripping it tomorrow mate, taking the seats, mirrors, etc etc...and use em on the next nova, as we discussed yesturday.

Cheers guys ill keep you all posted on my next Nova which will be here SOON ! and let me know to the Cardiff guys and other surrounding areas if there are any shells as id like to start from scratch...

cheers

FY

_JH_
18-02-03, 09:45 AM
get the engine and box. there's plenty of people who'll by the 5 speed box, whether its close or wide ratio.

engine could come in handy too. you could have that head ported, polished blah blah blah, and then you'll only be without a car for a day while you swap heads. otherwise you gotta take your head off and wait for all the work to be done before fitting it back to the car.

might wanna get the glass, qaurterlights etc, as they may save you money in the unfortunate event of a break in.

put an ad in the adtrader paper, nova breaking for spares all parts availible etc, and see if you can get a coupla quid back.