PDA

View Full Version : Elise s1 Vs VX220 n/a?

adam c
27-06-09, 02:30 PM
Hi after the civic has gone i should be looking at either getting a S1 elise or a VX220(2.2 n/a).I know they use some of the same bits etc but i was wondering if anyone had driven/been in them both?which do you prefer?and if so whats the pro's and cons of them both?

I have driven an Elise(only a little drive though:( )and really like the go kart type steering and the seating position but never drove a VX and havent even sat in one.

It will be used everyday so thats why i havent gone for a caterham/westfield type car as i think it would be too much in one of them everyday.(If i had a garage i'd have a B/E kit car sat in there ;))

BIGS
27-06-09, 02:32 PM
The VX220 is a much better car

kc_08
27-06-09, 02:59 PM
was on top gear the vx220 is unbeliveable value for money, pretty similar cars though. build for the same sort of purpose. and jeremy clarkson couldnt belive how good it was for the price lol iirc there cheaper than the lotus?

BIGS
27-06-09, 03:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM5XSDuU1MA

And can a elise do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwIR7IpGkOA&feature=channel_page

twistysnovagte
27-06-09, 03:41 PM
first link says it all realy

and the second:D

Will F
27-06-09, 05:36 PM
Plus you will hae to endure the joys of the K Series if you go with the lotus!

VX much better car - better looking too imo

Plug
27-06-09, 05:53 PM
the second vid is crazy

stupot89
27-06-09, 06:18 PM
lol at the second vid

Stuart
27-06-09, 08:55 PM
the S1 elise and VX220 dont share that many common parts.... infact the brake calipers and radiator + coolant hoses that arent in the engine bay are about the only common parts.

Its MUCH more similar to the S2 (although still hugely different).

I've driven a few S1's and fecking loads of VX220's (plus mine daily lol) and have to say there is very little in it in terms of the actual handling. OK out of the box the S1 will handle better than the vx since GM had a crappy alignment setup put on it to make it softer for normals. But with a mild tweek both seem the same for most folks.

The K series isnt a terrible engine if looked after/modded appropriately. You can mod the Elise for naff all compared to the VX (eg £3-500 for an exhaust "system" for the elise.... the same item for the VX will be best part of £800-1K!!!!!! WTF)

On the flip side the 2.2 engine has pretty much the same power as an std XE, BUT the same torque as a 200BHP TB'd one. Its a cracking engine for the car as its lazy enough to bimble about, but enough oomph to make it a really fun car. In terms of straight line behavoir, they are both about as fast as an XE'd nova, but just get to a bend ;)

The S1 is good if you have a tall body as there is LOTS of headroom compared to the VX, I cant wear a skid lid + have the roof on in my vx, but can wear a lid in an S1 (handy for wet trackdays lol)

Essentially its your call, but for an everyday drive car, I'd opt for the lazy able car (vx) :D Good S1's and good vx's are about the same cost to buy, but get insurance quotes for both to see if there is a difference. Also note that a 2nd hand clam for an S1 is about £200ish, whereas one for the VX is £700-1K. New ones, just dont ask lol.

LOTS of fun, even in my retarded hands.
Have a read on Seloc (elise) and VX220.org.uk (vx, but bitchy and VERY anti young owners for some gay reason). Maybe see if there are some owners locally who can take you for a spin, if you were near here you could have a go in mine.

Stuart
27-06-09, 09:31 PM
Let_nova... oh I could go on for days lol

vauxboi
27-06-09, 09:37 PM
the 2.2 vx220 i would say is better than the 2.0 turbo because you can supercharge the 2.2 happy days

Stuart
27-06-09, 09:43 PM
depends... ok you can S/C the N/A but its still best part of £5K to do it properly and upgrade the rest of the car to go with that extra power.
The turbo does drive differently, I dont like the way it drives but I'm not saing its a crap car, I just expect different things than that particular setup offers.

Oh and as a side note, the VX/elise make utterly shoite drag cars. The yellow one (owned by Klassen, who writes the maps for coutrenays) is an exception, but its no longer much use as a track/road car.

adam c
29-06-09, 11:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice:thumb:

Also thanks stuart(i was hoping you'd see the post).Im going to sign upto seloc and vx220.org and have a look around them and see if some nice chaps will take me out so i can make up my mind:D but at the minute its swaying more towards the vx:D