PDA

View Full Version : Is a battery box really needed

cunit
27-06-09, 01:29 PM
My battery has been relocated to behind the passenger seat, ive not driven the car yet but should I put it in a box or will it be ok on its own. Its a Vauxhall GO battery:confused:

Mike
27-06-09, 04:30 PM
Only if its a competition car really. Altho ideally if it were me, id use one anyway.

jimbob-mcgrew
27-06-09, 05:39 PM
as they charge/discharge (in operation) they release some hydrogen gas, if u were driving for an amount of time with the windows up, and sparked a ciggy up for instance, you might need some 40 million sunblock.

usually the safe thing to do is put it in a box and have an external vent pipe for the gases. if its a road car, ive heard youll need these for the mot anyhow.

theres a different type of battery you can buy to get around this, i forget what its called, possibly a dry cell or something, i forget, there quite pricey tho.

loggyboy
27-06-09, 11:28 PM
box isnt mot requirement, well mine passed its 1st mot without one. but 1st autosolo i did, the scrutineer said it should have one for basic MSA requirements and also just as a personal preference as in a crash, battery acid is not a good look!
doesnt need a drain or vent or anything. pretty sure most modern batterys are well sealed.

mikey14sr
28-06-09, 12:41 AM
My cousins place now only do these new gel type batteries (no acid, just a thick, gloopy gel), apparently these don't give off any gas, and are obviously a lot safer in a crash. Might be worth looking into?

cunit
28-06-09, 06:37 PM
box isnt mot requirement, well mine passed its 1st mot without one. but 1st autosolo i did, the scrutineer said it should have one for basic MSA requirements and also just as a personal preference as in a crash, battery acid is not a good look!
doesnt need a drain or vent or anything. pretty sure most modern batterys are well sealed.

hi foreheadinator, would the gas not build up in the box and BANG?

Ive been looking at the boxes on some of the rally websites and at around the £40 - £50 mark they cost more than the fricking battery lol :eek:

mowgli
28-06-09, 07:44 PM
obviously you should stick the battery in a box if it is fitted inside the passenger compartment, and it needs a breather pipe of some description...... just for basic common sense & safety

gavint5
30-06-09, 01:32 PM
ive moved mine to the boot and im using two metal o rings with small steel straps to hold them to the chassis and a cheap fabrick strap to hold it in place. i figure it weighs next to nothing, holds the battery firmly in place and is realy easy to release. i dunno about these gasses and will look into a breather of some sort but i certainly wouldnt use a gel battery as they weigh a heck of alot mor ethan a standard battery and cost three times as much too. if youve moved your battery then youve probably done it for better weight distribution or if your like me also so that you can get atthings in the engine bay easier. if youve done it for weight then you dont want a heavier battery do you?

mayhem
30-06-09, 03:04 PM
^^ for youre own safety i'd use a yellowtop gell battery... and use a box.

btw, go to a watersport shop. the have the same boxes as the motorsport shop, but for some reason the cost double at a motorsports shop...

loggyboy
30-06-09, 11:12 PM
my bat box was £16 from ral des, they are not air tight so they dont need a breather, they only there to restrict the amount of fluid that could piss out if you roll. if your crash is strong enought to split a battery its strong enough to split an ABS or fibreglass box

hc coupe
01-07-09, 10:36 AM
Why is everyone worried about "gases" and "gel" .... I would be more worried that when you crash that battery would come flying into the back of my seat or worse!!!

I would fit a alloy battery box, rather then bodge it down because if I crash I would not want a 10kg plastic box come flying at me/ passengers head!!

Get one in my opinion

Tom

gavint5
01-07-09, 07:18 PM
it deffinately needs secured but gel would make your moving the battery a pointless excercise and theres alot of confusion as to the risk these gasses make. if you rive at the battery and it does not move then thats good enough in my oppinion and that is afteralll what the mot man will do!

General Baxter
01-07-09, 07:48 PM
lol mine took me 10mins to build lol

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124823