PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! ECU Fault Code

geordie_racer
12-02-03, 06:44 PM
hi my ecu is coming up with the following fault

24 Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) No speed signal or low voltage

can ne1 tell me wot this is n how 2 fix it? i thought it mite b an old fault so i reset the ecu n it still cums up so can ne1 please help?

cheers
chris

mikeoxford
12-02-03, 10:29 PM
wouldda thought a quick call to vauxhall and they might help?

all the proper engine techie people dont come on here daily, so wait a day or so and youll get your answer......... :D

Aragorn
13-02-03, 12:00 AM
sounds like uve got a digi dash and who ever installed it was a cowboy and chopped the orginal ecu sender out of the loop

Dicko
13-02-03, 12:44 AM
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=650704#post650704
well i replied at like 5pm on mig so never bothered on here.
----there is a piggyback device on your gearbox with 3 wires coming off it joining t othe engine loom then into the ecu. it measures the road speed and is used for some fueling calculations i beleive, or it might be something to do with idle valve setting iv forgot. check the conections are ok

----

geordie_racer
13-02-03, 10:18 AM
yeah i no you replied dicko but i posted back 2 that, where do i find these wires n how do i get 2 them? the car is a completly standard mk2 1.2i nova no digidash just standard clocks

cheers
chris

Dicko
13-02-03, 12:33 PM
your speedo cable comes out just behind your injector/carb unit, and goes down to your gearbox, follow that cable and that will take you to the piggyback device, there should be a black unit with 3 wires coming off it. thats the bugger!!

geordie_racer
13-02-03, 04:42 PM
ok have taken some photos(sorry bout image quality n if they take awhile 2 load) of wot i think is the piggyback device in question but it doesn't seem 2 b connected to nethin so is this it? also took a picture of the airbox coz the rear pipe of the underside has some yellowy crap in it is this normal?

cheers
chris

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_view.php?id=317

Dicko
13-02-03, 08:30 PM
well that should be conected to the speed sender on your gearbox then the dasboard speedo wire should piggyback onto that in your hand on pic.
cant see why its been taken off unless the threads r fooked on it :o

geordie_racer
13-02-03, 09:39 PM
well that bit in my hand connects to another little black thing further down which runs into the block which i guess is on it's way 2 the gearbox. where shud the piece in the picture connect 2? at the minute it sits next 2 the injector. ne help?

cheers
chris

Dicko
13-02-03, 09:54 PM
yes...

you need to unscrew then disconect your speedo cable, fit the bit u have in ur hand, then refit speedo cable onto that. its not so easy as you dont have much space to work in and mind u dont fcuk the threads

Aragorn
13-02-03, 09:58 PM
http://www.mikeoxford.boyracer.net/howto/digidash.pdf

3rd page at the top is a scan from haynes that shows what the sender assembly SHOULD look like

geordie_racer
13-02-03, 10:01 PM
er confused, so i unscrew the speedo cable and screw this piggyback into the new gap, which end does the speedo connect 2, the big end of the piggyback or the small end?

cheers
chris

Dicko
13-02-03, 10:22 PM
go and look its very ovbious then

geordie_racer
14-02-03, 07:26 PM
ok i have been saw n almost conquered. i reconnected the piggyback device n the speedo stopped workin so i guess thats y it was disconnected. how hard is it 2 find another 1in the scrap yard and how would i fit it. would i chop both plastic bits out and solder the new 1 in place? also if no replacement found how do i go about fixin the 1 i have?

cheers
chris

Dicko
15-02-03, 10:42 AM
well there on most spi/mpi nova/astra.
no soldering or anything needed just unplug the conector for the 3 wires and the speedo cable sorted

geordie_racer
15-02-03, 02:05 PM
ok folks got a replacement from the srappy 2day n it works no more annoying ecu light cheers 4 all the help

chris