PDA

View Full Version : front windscreen fitting?

Nobby
26-06-09, 10:46 PM
any tips etc:thumb:

napalm_27
26-06-09, 10:48 PM
piece of string :thumb:

Southie
26-06-09, 10:51 PM
Feed a piece of string into the rubber that slots around the window then your able to push the glass in without the rubber not getting a good seal. Obviously then start taking the sting back out as the window slots n place. Don't rush it and push too hard though or you'll crack it!!! Take your time.:)

JordyzNova
26-06-09, 11:04 PM
the screen is out of my old burgandy mk2 but his mk1 is cracked mot failure so do we smashe the window to get it out ?

kent14sr
26-06-09, 11:14 PM
start in top corner inside and peel seal back whilst pushing out gently on screen, and work round screen!

Novaboi_1991
26-06-09, 11:41 PM
kent14sr, u fancy helping me fit my GSI top tint?

skidmarkz
27-06-09, 08:52 AM
where u from Novaboi ?

AlexW
27-06-09, 10:09 AM
the screen is out of my old burgandy mk2 but his mk1 is cracked mot failure so do we smashe the window to get it out ?

If you like getting bits of glass out of the car for years and years then yes.

L33 LEG
27-06-09, 11:06 AM
but if not, then just use some string. really easy job. just be extra careful though as they crack very easily.

edit : meant to say use a screwdriver to take it out and go around the seal. should be able to pull it out after half way round.

Pistol Pete
27-06-09, 12:21 PM
If you like getting bits of glass out of the car for years and years then yes.

Front screen should shatter like a side window, but i see where you're coming from. Mine cracked when i removed it, but still came out whole. Just be cautious.

As for re fitting, the string method should be fine. Again, caution is order of the day IMO.

Pillar
27-06-09, 08:19 PM
as mine cracked a few times on previous novas i just cut the rubber and then re-placed it with a new one when went back to fitting it :)

mayhem
29-06-09, 05:22 PM
new rubber is 50 euro at carglass here. picked 1 up today for my astra mk1.

2 guys and a string and youre done in about 15 minutes. 1 pulling the string, the other pushing/hitting with a flat hand where the string is coming out of the rubber.

you can hit hard with youre flat hand, factory fitters used rubber hammers!

AlexW
29-06-09, 05:31 PM
When i say about the glass, i know it wont shatter like other windows due to being liminated (spelling?) But in my experiance, you get bits from the inside if you just smash it, leaving you with small bits off glass all over the inside of your car.

kent14sr
29-06-09, 06:31 PM
kent14sr, u fancy helping me fit my GSI top tint?

Yeah no prob - done 100s of them over the years!

Ten minute job - for others, top tip - go round inside edge of the rubber with a straight screwdriver and break the sealant before trying to get it out - less likely to break it!

Novaboi_1991
30-06-09, 05:26 PM
il give ya a pm soon as i got the car back and the new screen mate :thumb:

mayhem
30-06-09, 06:08 PM
Yeah no prob - done 100s of them over the years!

Ten minute job - for others, top tip - go round inside edge of the rubber with a straight screwdriver and break the sealant before trying to get it out - less likely to break it!

why is everybody always f*cking up the rubber with sealent?! i never put any sealant in any of the rubbers of my cars, and none ever leaked.

when using a new rubber... make sure you can swear.. those things are a b*tch to do.

kent14sr
30-06-09, 10:17 PM
Never used sealant when fitting one and never had one that leaked . . .

It is recommended by Vauxhall to use sealant though strangely enough!!