PDA

View Full Version : Twin 40 problem

mrtim
12-02-03, 04:13 PM
Ok, so the car was getting too much fuel and leaking a bit of oil and stuff.
I took off the head and skimmed it, and fitted a fuel return pipe and pressure regulator. Now 1 carb is supplying way too much petrol and flooding its 2 cylinders. The other 2 cylinders are fine.

Whats the problem??

Thanks.

Stuart
12-02-03, 05:27 PM
u running one T40 unit??

mrtim
12-02-03, 07:54 PM
sorry.

2x 40 DCOE Webers. 1600 gsi engine.

One of the webers seems to be fine.

The other seems to be giving way too much petrol.
Liquid is comin out the exhaust ports of this carb.

mikeoxford
12-02-03, 10:15 PM
are the two sycrhonised?

rob.slader
12-02-03, 11:19 PM
It could possibly be that the carbs need overhauling? As Mike says, if the carbs aren't in balance, they can spit and pop, but not usually to the extent of lots of fuel coming out. Do you mean fuel is coming out of the trumpets into the filters? If they haven't been overhauled, it might be worth doing, webber service kit is ?16 per carb.

MC
13-02-03, 09:32 AM
What fuel pressure are you running? Needs to be about 3psi.

Are you using an electric pump, or mechanical?

MC

mrtim
13-02-03, 01:15 PM
Standard 1.4sr mechanical pump.
Filter King Pressure regulator.
Fuel return as well.

I had the car running without the return, it just ran too rich and fouled up the plugs. Used a hell of a lot of petrol as well.

MC
13-02-03, 03:05 PM
I ran a std 1.4 sr pump to a regulator, into one carb, then the next. No return needed. I'd guess you need the carbs balanced, and you might wanna check the floats aren't stuck. Bit like a toilet system, if the ball cock don't rise, then the fuel keeps flowing in.

MC

CP
13-02-03, 09:40 PM
You need to check the floats as previously said:
1. Check that the floats themselves aren't leaking and filling with fuel.
2. Check the ball valve assembly is working - take it out and shake it - shud rattle if OK
2.Check that the float travel. Its quite common for them not to be adjusted properly so that they dont actually shut off when full. To check this take the cover off with the floats attached to it. Turn thru 90 degrees so that the floats hang down. There shud be an 8.5 mm gap from the cover to float when valve is shut. Adjust by bending tab thats part of the hinge assembly until they do. There's a bit more to it. I have a workshop manual scanned into a word doc that I'll try to send you but it may not work as I have had probs before trying to send it

CP
13-02-03, 09:51 PM
Nope couldn't do it.
Basically the only other thing is to check that the float travel from fully open to fully closed is 6.5mm

mrtim
15-02-03, 04:16 PM
Right.
There was a problem with one of the floats which i think ive fixed but ill check everything again tomorrow.

That word document would be good if u have it as i bought my rebuild kits yesterday.

Hungover somethin shockin today so im pretty much good for nothin.

Thanks for your help.

mrtim

mikeoxford
16-02-03, 09:27 PM
there is a good rebuild / picture / useful information guide on T40 coming to nova-land in the next week, will go in the mechanical section.

its basically a writeup of everything i found on web whilst doing mine.........

mike

mrtim
18-02-03, 05:02 PM
good good good.

mikeoxford
18-02-03, 07:04 PM
we aim to please 8)

just inserting the pics as we speak..............