PDA

View Full Version : another saab conversion

Sloth
26-06-09, 09:32 AM
i personally like the comment about it fitting a corsa.....
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/projects-restorations/401452-my-saab-powered-mk3-astra.html

General Baxter
26-06-09, 03:36 PM
this was the one at pv

there is no way that engine will go in a nova, the inlet touches the firewall and the turbo touches the rad

Pistol Pete
26-06-09, 04:35 PM
Personally i like the fact that someone has actually built one.....

bmw156
26-06-09, 05:14 PM
wasnt there someone putting one of those in his nova on here,.

the title was something like red top with a difference

Plug
26-06-09, 05:18 PM
/\ its Paul and its going into a mk2 ashtray

nige is the one that was at pv and tbh it wasnt all that quick i didnt think

Pillar
26-06-09, 06:01 PM
wasnt there someone putting one of those in his nova on here,.

the title was something like red top with a difference in a astra :thumb:

Spudly
26-06-09, 06:08 PM
this was the one at pv

there is no way that engine will go in a nova, the inlet touches the firewall and the turbo touches the rad

What he said as we were both examining it.........

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/spudly01/Events%20Piccies/DSC03187.jpg

Paul
26-06-09, 09:07 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/lashednova/Picture036.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/lashednova/Picture005.jpg

It will go in a Nova, you will have some serious issues with the NS chassis leg though...

The mk3 astras you can bolt the Saab subframe directly to the Astra, however the Saab engine sits tilted right back, when coupled to a Vauxhall gearbox, it straightens them up, so effectively giving you a lot more room.

Dod
26-06-09, 10:29 PM
That engine is unimpressive. I drove a Saab Turbo powered by one of those and it wasnt that nice or impressive.

Southie
26-06-09, 10:43 PM
C20let = proven, works and help if fecks up IMO

Paul
26-06-09, 10:48 PM
LET=1k +
Saab=150 with everything, intercooler, radiator, boost pipes, gearbox, spare coilpacks, loom, injectors etc etc

There is that factor if you want 200bhp on a budget?

Southie
26-06-09, 10:59 PM
Noticed your doing the conversion Paul and good on you, it's just issues with if things start going tits up less people will have come across the problems to help out and you could end up spending up to the same price as the standard LET anyway.

Dirtydog1
26-06-09, 11:55 PM
saab turbo lumps could be the way forward, the more people do them, the easier it will become. besides, easy is boring imo!!!!!
who wants to be a sheep! to many let novas and corsas. get ya saab lumps in!

peter gsi
27-06-09, 12:10 AM
seen it done in a mk 3 astra van engine sat higher on the driver side coundnt change it cause of the subframe. he said it went well drove really bad. said his c20let was better but this was cheap as payed 100 for engine. didnt look right tho

Dirtydog1
27-06-09, 12:16 AM
mk3 van bays are the same as a normal mk3 astra? the one in this astra looks fine. maybe he had the gearbox on upside down lol

Paul
27-06-09, 01:16 AM
seen it done in a mk 3 astra van engine sat higher on the driver side coundnt change it cause of the subframe. he said it went well drove really bad. said his c20let was better but this was cheap as payed 100 for engine. didnt look right tho

Wrong, the rocker cover is taller on the drivers side than it is on the passenger side.

Stuart
27-06-09, 08:20 AM
Paul, any good suppliers of parts, mainly a T5 and or T7 ecu ;)

Adam
27-06-09, 09:09 AM
That engine is unimpressive. I drove a Saab Turbo powered by one of those and it wasnt that nice or impressive.
IIRC they run mega low boost as standard, plus in the weight of a Saab, they wont be all that.......

Dod
27-06-09, 10:13 AM
So they're more or less an Econemy Turbo engine? Are they tunable though? TBH it felt like an SRi Cavalier would if you were driving with the hand brake up but then released it after 4k rpm.

Paul
27-06-09, 10:39 AM
Neo brothers in Waltham cross.

scott.parker
27-06-09, 11:09 AM
I like the idea, Paul do you have wip thread on mk2 owners?

I would do it in a nova.

dj_wudgey
27-06-09, 11:12 AM
always bin a fan off mk3 astra gsi's!! looked beter before he hit the car though lol

peter gsi
28-06-09, 12:49 PM
the lad with the mk 3 astra van worked for saab said was the frist to do why it seats high on drive side is it hits on the subframe. all so had to cut parts out the bonnet. get a let better all round

Sloth
28-06-09, 10:37 PM
thats deek off mig/\ stage 3 map onto a t5 saab ecu is 275ish bhp. just decat and air filter. you download the software off the net for free, and the maps are in the software package. paul, can you post up on here mate?

Paul
29-06-09, 11:27 AM
post what?

Paul
29-06-09, 11:28 AM
the lad with the mk 3 astra van worked for saab said was the frist to do why it seats high on drive side is it hits on the subframe. all so had to cut parts out the bonnet. get a let better all round

Thats bollocks, cause theyre the same subframe. :wtf:

Paul
29-06-09, 11:29 AM
I like the idea, Paul do you have wip thread on mk2 owners?

I would do it in a nova.

On here Scott :thumb:

Ben
29-06-09, 11:44 AM
Good on you Paul, nice to see someone trying something different.

As for no help out there lmao maybe not on here or MIG but the Saab forums will be full of help for tuning the engines. Plus its a turbo so fit bigger turbo, remap, raise the boost and it will go faster lol

Paul
29-06-09, 11:57 AM
Good on you Paul, nice to see someone trying something different.

As for no help out there lmao maybe not on here or MIG but the Saab forums will be full of help for tuning the engines. Plus its a turbo so fit bigger turbo, remap, raise the boost and it will go faster lol

Cheers Ben :D

deek
28-12-09, 12:17 PM

i no this is an old thread but only just seen it,but i never once said the engine shas to sit high so it doesnt hit the subfram thats bollocks,the subframe is allmost the same as the saab one,

the reason it sits high on one side is that the cam cover is higher at one engine as it has a timing chain and sprockts under it.

how ever i may have said the reason you cant lower it is because it may hit the subframe idf the engine was lowered to give more clearance,but then dont even recall saying that.but never mind this is what seems to happen on forums

Sloth
28-12-09, 12:44 PM
aye you get some mongs typing bollox as gospel. good to see your over here, how is the van?

deek
28-12-09, 01:13 PM
yeh its good did you see it in total vauxhall?its moved on a little since its caged up bucket seat new fuel system,but not done much as iv got my self a saab as its much nicer to drive then a vauxhall

Bubba
28-12-09, 01:47 PM
id rather have the 2.3t if i was guna use a saab engine

deek
28-12-09, 02:56 PM
mine is a 2.3?