PDA

View Full Version : Engine Mangement Light On GSi

Gaz1.2
12-02-03, 02:45 PM
I own a 1991 gsi, and over the past couple of months i have had problems with the engine manegment light keep comming on, when the light is on the car doesn't run to its full potential and is a little sluggish, but if you work it through the gears and put your foot down it works its way out the system and it'll run brilliantly, the only mods i have on the engine side of the car is a full magnex exhaust system and a green cotton air filter, i wonder if any of these could be the route of the problem, does anybody have any ideas on how to sort this problem out. cheers for your time

Dicko
12-02-03, 04:09 PM
do you have a labda sensor on ur exhaust. if ur suppose to and its misisng that can cuase the light to come on.
otherwise y dont u flash out the code from the ECU

Gaz1.2
06-05-03, 11:50 AM
ive sorted it now. it was the octane plug that needed changing. :D

beghy
06-05-03, 09:37 PM
i got the car, same modz and the same problem but when i took my car to my local garage they said that they wouldnt read from the ECU, is that possible?
how much did it cost to change the plug?

novax
06-05-03, 09:47 PM
I had the same thing..... took the ECU off and cleaned the connector, the Vauxhall "Tech1" box said it was the octane plug as well. Cleaning the connector fixed though :D

Plugs cost about ?12 from Vauxhall.

mikeoxford
06-05-03, 09:58 PM
how much did it cost to change the plug?

free if you go your scrappy ;) there pocket sized!

Jules
07-05-03, 03:01 AM
Why not get a brown octane plug from a later Astra MK3? It's got 98ron on one side and 95ron on the other, so if you want to run Optimax (Like I do religiously) then just unplug it, turn it round so the 98 faces outwards and plug it back in, hey presto your engine will now run on Optimax with zero pinking. If you don't want to run Optimax then just leave it on the 95ron side, the number symbolizes the MINIMUM octane petrol you can run, so if you have it on 98 and run normal unleaded (95ron) then you'll get pinking, but if you have it on 95 and run Optimax (98ron) then you've wasted your money on the petrol because the ECU will still be set to 95.

Made sense? No? Me neither!!
:lol: :o

Gaz1.2
08-05-03, 02:59 PM
the plug and fitting cost 25quid from my local vauxhall garage! bonus!!! :D tahnx for your tips guys!!!