PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft wont go all the way in???

gtachorley
25-06-09, 12:40 PM
Hi All,

When driving the Nova if I am accelerating the car feels fine, when I come off the throttle there is a knocking noise and the car feels bogged down when I go back on the throttle there is another knocking noise and the car pulls fine again.

Felt like the drive shaft was coming out then when accelrating going back in so jacked it up and had a look, the longer shaft is not going all the way into the gearbox, have taken it off and had a look the clip on the CV is fine but the shaft wont go all the way in there is like a 15mm gap have tried without the clip and its the same 15mm gap, looked at haynes and they say line it up and use a screwdriver on the weld bead on the CV to hammer it home, have been trying this for two days, it seems to hit something solid 15mm before its all the way in??

Any ideas.....:thumb:

novasaloon1984
25-06-09, 01:26 PM
wow thats got me stumped if it was 15mm out are you not noticeing it on the hub side?
no wines from the box?
what engine box shafts are you useing not that it will make much difference

let_nova
25-06-09, 04:27 PM
if the car is pulling and knocking when accelerating or backing off first have a wee loook to see that the ball joints are tight.

skidmarkz
25-06-09, 05:14 PM
if it was 15mm out, you would have no gearbox oil left!

as Let Nova says check ball joints, then tie bar's & brackets, failing that the CV could be dead, i cant see how it "wont go in" unless the metal clip has removed itself from the end of the CV and its jammed..?

let_nova
25-06-09, 05:19 PM
ahem? jimbo?

Plug
25-06-09, 05:30 PM
lol i was thinking the same thing there?

let_nova
25-06-09, 05:31 PM
cars are very similar though.

skidmarkz
25-06-09, 05:36 PM
hehe oops i did just look at the car sorry lol

Plug
25-06-09, 05:43 PM
its not even my car in the advitar(sp?)

i got offered it a few years back and shopped it and its been my advitar(sp?) ever since lol

Got to get a new one thinking about it but my car looks very naked at the moment

Mark Sparks
25-06-09, 09:06 PM
sounds like the diff is knackered mate not a big job but would advise going to a garage to fix it. or pop round mine i know a bit on gearboxes as rebuilt 100s i live in hindley pm me if you cant sort it.

gtachorley
26-06-09, 12:40 AM
Hi been at work all night, most of the shaft is in, cant work out whats stopping it, is leaking gearbox oil a bit, cant work it out was fine, for a month did a few bits on the car but didnt touch the shafts, just happened one day all of a sudden.

Cant work it out its gay

let_nova
26-06-09, 07:45 AM
with regards to the knocking and pulling to the side did you check ball joints?

gtachorley
26-06-09, 10:26 AM
Yeah checked em hey are fine.

Can only think its the diff, this is very puzzling as it was fine before.

let_nova
26-06-09, 10:35 AM
front shocks ok?

gtachorley
26-06-09, 11:03 AM
Yeah they are fine can only be a problem with the g/box, I think:wtf:

let_nova
26-06-09, 11:09 AM
diff it is then.