PDA

View Full Version : Which one to go for...mk4 VS E46. Opinions please.

GTE TURBZ
25-06-09, 10:51 AM
mk4 golf tdi anniversary (150 PD).... Vs..... BMW 320 Cd Sport (E46)

Hi people, I looking to get a new motor for the winter and kind of set on getting a mk4 golf tdi anniversary (150 PD). Looking at between 7/8K at most. Trouble is there’s hardly anything on the market not surprising they only made 900 petrol and the same amount in diesel. But whilst looking for the golf I've been seen that for that sort of price, 320 cd may be feasible.

Its quite clear that the golf anni has a more sportier appearance and has bags of torque oh and the limited editionness. J

Opinions please :thumb:

Novasport
25-06-09, 12:50 PM
I had a 320Cd M Sport new in 2005, was a great car. I would go for one of them if you can afford it. M Sport with leather is nice.
They are pretty reliable, only really had problems with the inlet manifolds losing flaps but if its not gone by now you should be OK. Just the odd turbo here & there if its not been looked after(Engine breathers should be replaced at about 50-60k miles).
Only other things to look out for on them is ball joints, front lower arm bushes, corrosion on rear brake pipes & broken rear coil springs but all are easy jobs to do.

Golfs are pretty decent aswell but would prefer an E46

The Simps
25-06-09, 12:56 PM
As above, go with the 320cd - great cars! I had one myself and loved it. Quick enough to certainly have fun in two. I was only thinking the other day that I'd quick like one again. I only changed mine as I needed a bigger car so went to an A4. Personally I think mk4 golfs are WAY overpriced for what they are.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/BMW%20320cd/P10100786x4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/BMW%20320cd/P10100746x4.jpg

GTE TURBZ
25-06-09, 02:37 PM
Personally I think mk4 golfs are WAY overpriced for what they are.

especially the anniversary:) I do really want the golf now though and the anniversary's are a limited edition so should hold its value better.

what sort of hp do the cd 320's have, ive driven a newer 320d m sport 07 plate and that is pretty quick, but it is a difficult car to drive, thats one of the reasons im looking at the golf.

Bmer looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!! I would get it in black though!!!

Welsh Dan
25-06-09, 05:08 PM
what sort of hp do the cd 320's have, ive driven a newer 320d m sport 07 plate and that is pretty quick, but it is a difficult car to drive, thats one of the reasons im looking at the golf.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=24386

GTE TURBZ
26-06-09, 09:55 AM
Cheers for that mate, ill look up the golf too and compare!!!

Novasport
26-06-09, 09:48 PM
ive driven a newer 320d m sport 07 plate and that is pretty quick, but it is a difficult car to drive, thats one of the reasons im looking at the golf.

OMG, they are easy to drive! What was difficult about it?
Forget the golf, overweight FWD hatch & go for the BMW RWD, a much better car!

Novasport
26-06-09, 09:52 PM
Oh and they are 150 bhp.
BMW make cracking diesel engines, I am running a 123d at the minute. 2.0 twin turbo with 204 bhp & the same amount of torque as a new V8 M3!!!

GTE TURBZ
28-06-09, 10:49 AM
OMG, they are easy to drive! What was difficult about it?
Forget the golf, overweight FWD hatch & go for the BMW RWD, a much better car!

it just didnt feel that easy to manuever, but then i did drive it just a few times, once u get used to it should be easy enough suppose.

yeah checked the stats, both do 134 mph and 150 bhp, golf gets to 60 slighter quicker though.

with all due respect i need someones view whos owned or driven the golf too.