PDA

View Full Version : problems with fitting ATE calipers

carnage501
11-02-03, 10:27 PM
i am thinking of upgrading the brakes on my nova, has anyone had any problems with fitting ATE calipers to there 1.4SR.

if so let us know.

Aragorn
11-02-03, 10:39 PM
well if uve got the standard SR wheels and by ATE your referring to the 16v calipers then they wont fit

if its the ATE style calipers fitted to later novas then yeh they shoudl fit fine

14sr
12-02-03, 12:20 AM
i have the astra gte ate calipers fitted to my 91 mk 2 14sr and i put my standard sr steel wheels on every winter ant i dont have any probs at all . com to think of it 2 of my mates have also used the wheels over a astra gte 16v and another nova with discs alround and had no probs .

so you will be fine mate aslong as you dont go for v6 calipers + discs or anything like that

stuarty

Ste_Nova
12-02-03, 09:32 AM
try fitting new pads with the sri steels :lol:

jim sri
12-02-03, 09:41 AM
if standard 14" wheels and you intending to fit astra gte/cav gsi ATE calipers u'll have probs.
if you're fitting baby ATE calipers such as from a corsa GSI u'll have no probs under 14"rims. (corsa gsi brakes do work v.well aswell)

MC
12-02-03, 09:50 AM
I fitted 256mm ATE calipers discs and brand new pads under 14" Corsa GSi rims, and they fitted, but they wouldn't go under steel 14" SR wheels. If you have after market larger wheels you'll be fine. The bigest pain is normally removing the dust shield behind the disc so that the larger ones will go on. I normally end up mutilating them as the screws are rusted in solid.

MC

mikeoxford
12-02-03, 12:05 PM
try fitting new pads with the sri steels :lol:

i thought i had got away with it too!

but youll find as ste says once you whack new pads in and disks or whatever they fowl the wheel!

youll need to grind a small amount of the caliper if you itned to keep that setup

rgv_stu
12-02-03, 01:42 PM
well you boys must have had different steels to me

mine were 14" SR ones grey with the crome band around the rim

256x 24 mm discs off a cav sri
new pads / new discs
no rubbing / fouling at all

Ste_Nova
12-02-03, 02:03 PM
well mine used to catch with the sri steels.... i used to run 3mm spacers till the pads wore down a bit... i've got the paint missing from the inside of the wheels to prove it :lol:

14sr
13-02-03, 12:15 AM
very strange cause mine were also fitted to my sr when it was totaly standard with new pads and discs and i have never had a problem