PDA

View Full Version : Oil catch tank

General Lee
23-06-09, 08:27 AM
Hi,

Whats the main purpose of an oil catch tank?
And
Can it be attached to a 1.4 carbed engine (c14nz)

Cheers
Nath :thumb:

crash_ndie
23-06-09, 09:24 AM
a catch tank go's on the rocker cover vent, as the engines running it preduces air movement but it brings oil vapour up tho the vent usualy on a carbed engine the breather hose gos to the air filter so it can be drawn back in to the engine an burnt off. if you have changed to a non standard air filter you can do away with the pipe an fit a tank or cheaper option is a small filter that pushes over the breather pipe ( think rip speed used to sell them ) but this can be messy an leave oil reserdue in the engine bay depending how hard your engine breaths. i personaly run a catch tank just a case of emptying once every so oftern:thumb:

AlexW
23-06-09, 09:46 AM
Thats a preety good write up ^.

Theres another slight advantage, if the level goes up a lot theres a problem inside your engine somwhere usualy lol.

I run one on my 16v.... And yes it is only a plastic bottle, but it does the job.

General Lee
23-06-09, 10:14 AM
Thanks, good write up indeed. Summmed it all up, might think of fabricating one (yes pepsi bottle) thanks for the info lads. I used to have a crappy breather filter on my old 1.4 because i had a weber filter on and yes there was a white gunk comming out of it most the time.