PDA

View Full Version : Road Rallying

muzzy
22-06-09, 10:51 PM
Does anyone on here compete in this? I am interested in doing it with my Corsa for a bit of fun after the sprint & hillclimb season is over. Just looking for a bit of information on the general rules etc of it and what i need to have on my car to compete. I did hear that you need full interior but i was also told by someone else that this is not true and that the car just has to be road legal.

Novaboi_1991
22-06-09, 10:52 PM
Kent14Sr is into his road rallying, might be worth a pm to see whats required?

muzzy
22-06-09, 11:00 PM
Cheers for that, ill fire a PM to him

Asa-James
22-06-09, 11:17 PM
i think it depends on the which type you do, a lad i went to college with used to do scout rallies ( i think thats what they were called) and the cars wernt allowed to be over 1000cc and had to have a standard interior (cue lots of old fiat panda vans, less interior as standard...)
get in touch with you local motor club and see what they say

George g
22-06-09, 11:49 PM
H104 (page 283 of the blue book) states;

'All major internal trim as fitted to the body type by its original manufacturer when offering it sale must be retained. This trim will include headlinings, inside door panels, carpets & rear seats.'

make of that what you will, but the basics are there.

muzzy
23-06-09, 12:14 AM
Oh well thats my Corsa out the window lol

George g
23-06-09, 08:05 AM
to be fair, if you ger some carpet on the floor. then any old head lining and stick it up - as long as it covers most of the roof. and then ratchet some seats in to the roll cage diagonal and you will be able to get away with it with a pretty relaxed scrut... almost definately be able ot run on 12 cars... even pov spec interior is acceptable.

Cle
23-06-09, 10:15 AM
My dad and brother use to do it and once i get the nova road worthy me and my dad are going to do it,The ones they went to you could use a normal road car or modified car (including rally cars).

matt_vaughan
23-06-09, 10:34 AM
IIRC (although I havent a clue where I heard it) you need a logbook to do road rallies, dont quote me on it though.

EDIT: Forget that, it cant be that as you would need cage etc to logbook a car surely.

Jonezy
23-06-09, 10:49 AM
You can do It in a bog standard car! The interior has to be in the car aswell. Best bet Is to join your local motorclub and then try out a few night navs ect. Also join up to http://www.britishrally.co.uk/ Its a good site & has a section on it just for Road Rallying.

kent14sr
23-06-09, 11:31 AM
As above

Has to retain standard rear seat/doorcards/headlining, but I have seen some with roll cages fitted and rear seats folded down!

Its usually frowned upon for the car to be covered in stickers etc, and numbers are illegal I believe when a car is used on a public road, I used to put a cross through them when taking my rally car for MOT etc

Auto testing is also a good way of using a car that doesnt conform to the above and usually very cheap although it tends to be small areas so not much chance for top speed

You can use any road car for road rallying thats MOT'd and taxed/insured as the aim is not to drive fast - many will penalise you for arriving at a point to early. Usually the aim is to hit a point at a given time (not early or late)

I have used Novas, my old focus and vectra sri over time

matt_vaughan
23-06-09, 11:43 AM
I used to do a little auto testing in my Nova, infact it's the reason I bought it.

Great way of learning a bit of car control, but can be quite hard on the car should you go balls out all the time.

Great fun though!

AlexW
23-06-09, 12:12 PM
Id love to do auto testing but never really looked into it much lol

muzzy
23-06-09, 04:03 PM
Corsa basically just has the dash and doorcards left inside with nothing else, so that sort of rules it out of road rallying. Only reason i was thinking about that was because it dosent conflict with the sprint/hillclimb season

Jonezy
23-06-09, 04:39 PM
What about doing the bont stages? £70 quid entry. Search up Tiefi stages

muzzy
23-06-09, 05:01 PM
It's a bit of a treck for me travelling from Inverness to Wales lol