PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure light

novalicous
22-06-09, 09:34 PM
just gone to start me car and the oil light stayed on but went off when i started to drive the started faintly flashing

so i stoped and turned it off straight away checked oil level and all connections which was all fine any ideas on the problem?

could it be the acctual oil pressure sendor/sensor it self,if so will one from a 1.4 spi fit my e16se?

any help very appriciated :thumb:

Craig

Benn
22-06-09, 09:55 PM
When the cars running make sure oil is getting around the engine, (take the cap off, cams will be wet and oil will flck out the hole)
As the light comming on is the pressure being very low.

novalicous
22-06-09, 10:18 PM
ive just drove back from the GFs (under 2 miles) and the light only came on very faintly when slowing dow corners,junctions etc the got back to mine and it was back to normal no light

would a oil sender from a 1.4 spi fit the 1.6 mpi (E16SE)

and benn ill check that tommorrow after work

ill go on the moped :D

Spudly
22-06-09, 11:21 PM
Have you let it settle and checked your oil level as you may find its low:thumb:

AlexW
23-06-09, 12:00 AM
The pressure switch will be the same bud.

Guderian
23-06-09, 08:21 AM
Trace the (probably blue) wire up from the sensor (which is usually on the oil pump)

If this wire chafes through and earths itself on something you get full voltage to the bulb.

Benn
23-06-09, 08:22 AM
If its hot and the cars hot it can lightly flicker, and not be worried about.
But if its comming on its not good.

Guderian
23-06-09, 08:42 AM
Changed me mind- if it's coming on very dimly it's either switch failure, or very low pressure. The short i mentioned makes the bulb flicker on at full brightness.

Change the switch and cross your fingers!

If it still occurs the first thing i would do is shut her down, wait till the weekend, drop the sump and check all the main and big end bolts are tight.

Lee H
23-06-09, 10:18 AM
Means you need to put some oil in your car as it will be being starved when you brake and the oil moves away from the pickup.

AlexW
23-06-09, 10:28 AM
What i was about to say ^ Mine did the same.

If the car has been left and youve acualy cleaned the dipstick and checked the level then change the switch.

mikey14sr
23-06-09, 05:48 PM
If the oil level's right and a new pressure switch doesn't cure it, it's time to take the sump off and give the pick-up pipe a good clean. Then again the pump could be on it's last legs.

Mark Sparks
23-06-09, 07:17 PM
mine does the same apart from mine seems like it wants to cut out. only does it when its warmed up a bit. im going to change my oil pump. i know all my breathers are clear as just built the engine and cleaned everything also had new switch so can only be the pump.

have you tryed an oil change?

novalicous
23-06-09, 08:09 PM
the oils only been in about 1500 miles

the pick up pipe and sump was cleaned when i semi rebuilt the engine

this week end im going to check all the connections and maybe fit the other swithch i have if thats doesnt cure it new pump time :(

kent14sr
24-06-09, 02:55 PM
Had similar prob on a 1400 Astra and it was the beginning of oil pump failure. Sadly I didnt take heed of the warning and it ceased, so I learnt my lesson :)

Guderian
24-06-09, 05:36 PM
Are these oil pumps prone to failure then? I don't recall hearing about failures on various other make/model websites..

Rather worrying !