PDA

View Full Version : SELECTION PROB HELP!!!!!!!!!

m.a.t.t
11-02-03, 01:08 PM
i've got a 1.2i 5 speed 92 reg im having problems selecting 5th when car gets warm, i have no problems when car is cold, please HELP!!!!!

mowgli
12-02-03, 08:55 PM
OK you've got me, All I can assume is that something in the gear linkage needs swapping, or the exhaust is very close to something in the linkage, causing it to warm up & melt

Give us some more info to go on.........

Chris LR
12-02-03, 08:58 PM
SR always did that.

It will go in with enough force! (Well mine did)

mowgli
12-02-03, 09:26 PM
I've had a brilliant idea , just keep putting ice round the gearbox.....

Keeps it cool

Sorry, but the nurse only lets me have one brilliant idea per day!!!!

mikeoxford
12-02-03, 10:02 PM
hmmm follow the haynes guide to adjust / setup the linkages correctly.

i did that on my old nova and it worked wonders.

on my old car it seemed fifth was diagonal right if that makes sense.

i couldnt get it in gear if i went right then up :?

Manta Mad
13-02-03, 11:06 PM
I had this problem a while back, like you it was only when warm and even then not always. When changing from 4th to 5th I just couldn't find 5th at all. You could get round it by going into 3rd then directly into 5th but I got fed up with that and changed the gearbox oil (the proper Vauxhall red stuff - Dexron III - I think) this did the trick and I never had a problem after that.

mikeoxford
14-02-03, 12:10 AM
I had this problem a while back, like you it was only when warm and even then not always. When changing from 4th to 5th I just couldn't find 5th at all. You could get round it by going into 3rd then directly into 5th but I got fed up with that and changed the gearbox oil (the proper Vauxhall red stuff - Dexron III - I think) this did the trick and I never had a problem after that.

where do you do the gearbox oil???

Evolution
14-02-03, 01:16 AM
Im not 100% sure about doing a complete oil change on the transmission as i dunno how to drain the old stuff, and the haynes manual seems to be a little sketchy on details, but in chapter 6 it tells you about maintenance and tells you where to top up the oil.....if that helps.

Aragorn
14-02-03, 04:01 PM
yank off the bottom cover plate and it shoudl all pish out

Dicko
14-02-03, 05:25 PM
only way to get it all out is to take bottom cover plate off., which is about 9*11mm bolts.

Manta Mad
14-02-03, 08:12 PM
Yes thats right, only way is to remove the bottom plate - just unbolts and the oil drains out into whatever you have ready to catch it! Best to use a new gasket although I didn't and there were no leaks afterwards - just give the mating faces a good clean.

For some reason you must refill the oil through the breather hole on top of the gearbox - the breather vent unscrews with a spanner. Check the level by unscrewing the oil level plug - front passenger side, top right hand side of where the driveshaft comes out of the gearbox - if oil flows out, level is OK. Capacity is in region of 1.6 - 1.8 litres.

m.a.t.t
15-02-03, 06:22 PM
ok i've changed the gear box oil,adjusted the linkage, but im still having probs selecting 5th when warm.Im having to depress my clutch twice to get into 5th, anyone have clues?

Manta Mad
15-02-03, 09:14 PM
What type of oil did you use - normal brown gear oil or the red Dexron stuff?

mikeoxford
16-02-03, 09:15 PM
why is this so under publicised because surely transmission oil is as imprortant as engine oil............?

i think ill be checking mine JIC

whitey
16-02-03, 10:53 PM
ha, i get that but not when moving!

Just when tryin to go into reverse, can take three attempts! Also It really crunches into 3rd sometimes (like im a learner driver), I always have foot rite down on clutch but it still does it now and again!

Any ideas?

Whites

mikeoxford
16-02-03, 11:01 PM
Any ideas?

Whites

do u ease of the acclerator a bit?

Manta Mad
16-02-03, 11:29 PM
I think the Haynes manual mentions the oil types or rather 'special oil' - whatever that is but its a bit vague (strange for Haynes :wink: ) I only found out when I tried to top up mine with normal gear oil and out came red stuff - did a bit of research and found out what it was. I have had BMWs in the past, earlier ones had the gearbox fitted with normal gear oil and this had to be changed every 20000 miles - they often had a notchy gearchange. Later models had Dexron (red oil same as auto boxes) and the change was much better - guess Vauxhall came to the same conclusion.

m.a.t.t
17-02-03, 12:50 PM
I don't believe that its my gearbox oil , could it be that my box is knackered or my clutch ?If its my gearbox whats the the best 1 2 replace it?

Manta Mad
17-02-03, 01:10 PM
You could be right but really what I was saying was, what type of oil did you put in - if you have put normal gear oil in, it would be worth trying Dexron to see if it makes a difference (it worked for me) - certainly a lot cheaper and far less hassle than replacement gearbox or clutch although if the oil change doesn't work, I guess these things are next on the list.