PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a C16XE

Plug
22-06-09, 07:27 AM
Right hopefully in the next couple of weeks i'll be fitting a c16xe to my missus nova. Just wandering what other bits will be needed to complete the conversion. I will be buying a complete engine, box, loom, and ecu. I'm putting it into a 1.2 spi shell.

also whats the wiring like in these to get it running?

cheer's in advance for any information submitted.

Jimbo

AlexW
22-06-09, 10:44 AM
Wiring is the same as any other engine preeety much. About 6 wires iirc.

Your need a astra intank MPI pump. Your also need the fuel lines that acualy connect to the engine, theres a few different ways of doing that too.

Exhaust your need a SR centre section (iirc) which should bolt up to the standard c16 downpipe.

Apart from the above i cant think of anything.

Plug
22-06-09, 06:07 PM
right well ive sourced an engine :)

£200 for everything needed including the fuel lines (cheers AW06)

all im going to be needing now is the sr centre section and ill pop down the scrappys for the mpi pump.

do you have any wiring diagrams or anything that can show me what 6 wires need connecting.

Regards Jimbo

P.s Have some Rep

Nev da nova
22-06-09, 09:23 PM
Good stuff, you'll love the end result its well worth doing.

I used the diagram from here which shows the wires just ignore the immbilizer and vss for the c16xe.

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100144&highlight=x16xe+wiring

Give me a call when your doing it i maybe able to come give you a hand

AlexW
23-06-09, 12:32 AM
yer as above adams diagram for the X16XE is very similar to the C16.

As for where to get all the supplys from, your have to cut out all the 1.2 wiring and then eather extend all the wiring across or de-loom it all (i just extended the wires for the ease of it lol). As from cutting out the old ecu your be left with:

Coolant (light blue) which goes to the dials
rev gauge (green) as above
EML (cant remember the colour sorry) as above lol
and a few ign and perm lives.

As long as the perm live is fused ( i used the one which does the interior light and radio and stuff with a inline fuse) all the other stuff should be easy.

And if you need any help with the wiring just pm me. Think i had enough problems with mine to know it all off by heart now lol

PS forgot about the fuel pump relay. I cut out the 1.2 item at the plug and then pulled through the red/blue and it was just long enough to attach to the 16v loom. Nice and easy :)

MK999
23-06-09, 01:36 AM
Pretty similar to the E16SE conversion by the sounds of it lol EML is blue/brown or white/brown btw. In my project thread, page 6-7ish iirc? Should be a link to my electrical woes thread, which is all splitting down a 1.2 spi loom, or just search all threads created by me in my profile.

AlexW
23-06-09, 09:48 AM
The EML is blue/brown yer, white/brown is diag rubbish. Brown yellow is what you earth out to flash the fault codes.

And yer, its standard vauxhall, all the wiring is preety much the same.

craig green
23-06-09, 02:50 PM
I would advise getting a Male & Female 7* pin plug from a scrapped car & soldering it into the car loom & the engine loom. Makes a far better job of it & gathers the wires on the 1.2 loom into 1 tidy bundle.

* doesnt have to be 7....

draper
23-06-09, 03:33 PM
keep your 1.2 SPI transducer aswell

Will F
23-06-09, 04:29 PM
Alternator/pulley and single V bottom pulley also need swapping.

Plug
23-06-09, 04:36 PM
ok cheers will get a plug off a car when i get the astra fuel pump.

Cheers for the information and offering to help Nick i will prob hold you to that :thumb:

Ok draper i will is there any reason why ?

Plug
23-06-09, 04:37 PM
Alternator/pulley and single V bottom pulley also need swapping.

will the 1.2 spi one fit the c16?

AlexW
23-06-09, 05:15 PM
Your need the VSS as the ecu needs a speed sensor (i presume C16 does anyways?)

And the 1.2 bottom pully wont fit. Your need one with the trigger wheel, altho i still run the wide stuff on my car.

Plug
23-06-09, 05:35 PM
so whats on the c16 bottom pully will fit and work in the nova?

Will F
23-06-09, 05:43 PM
Dont think the C16 needs the VSS signal... I cant remember!

I couldnt get anywhere near with the poly-V belts, I had to covert to the later Nova pulleys (C14/6SE)

Plug
23-06-09, 05:49 PM
what comes on the c16xe and multi v?

wont i be able to use what ever the c16 comes with when its in the nova?

AlexW
23-06-09, 05:51 PM
Well its a bit of a funny one, mine runs the wide belt, but i know a lot of people who have to use the single v stuff.

Its not hard to change once in the car so your choice really.

Plug
23-06-09, 05:53 PM
i will need an alternater and bottom pully and a belt wont i to run single v

Plug
23-06-09, 05:54 PM
hopefully it will work with the multi v

AlexW
23-06-09, 05:56 PM
Yer, you could use the whole alternator off the 1.2 ( iirc anyways) and then just find the correct bottom pully.

Plug
23-06-09, 05:58 PM
can i get the bottom pully off another vaux or is it a conversion part?

AlexW
23-06-09, 06:45 PM
Yer like will said, from a later nova engine or some other engines that i cant remember now

Plug
23-06-09, 06:50 PM
ok well im going to hope the multi v will work fine until i source a single v and belt

Plug
23-06-09, 10:57 PM
one more quick question do i use the nova mounts or corsa mounts?

craig green
23-06-09, 10:59 PM
Nova. The block is same design as the 1200, 1300, 1400, 1600 etc.

Smallblock.

craig green
23-06-09, 11:02 PM
can i get the bottom pully off another vaux or is it a conversion part?

You need the cat'd SRi or cat'd GSi (C engines) bottom pulley. Vauxhall do them for about £20ish IIRC,, though most people pay more than that 2nd hand when they come up.

I ran my 1st C16 with the narrow V-belt & this pulley. My current one is on the wide belt. No worries.

Plug
23-06-09, 11:06 PM
so if i get a c16se bottom pully and belt it will fit the c16xe

Southie
23-06-09, 11:10 PM
I'm running a Sri bottom pulley on mine with a standard nova alternator but had to make a alternator bracket to make fit.

A mate of mine last weekend has just put a x16xel into his nova with the multigroove but he had to make a slight indent into his inner wing to fit the top alternator pulley. It does depend on different cars for closeness for some bizzare reason.

I think that you will find it easier than you think to do the conversion. :)

Plug
23-06-09, 11:13 PM
cheers novabikecarbed

im hoping all things go unhitched and im just planning ahead and trying to get everything sorted out before i go ahead and do it.

i think i will source a c14/6se bottom pully and i will use the 1200 alternater.
will i need to get a new alternater belt with that or could i use the 1200 one?

sorry cg and novabikecarbed i gotta spread the love before you can have it again

Southie
23-06-09, 11:18 PM
I've used a gte belt on mine. It is a tight fit though but at least I remember which one I bought lol

craig green
23-06-09, 11:18 PM
so if i get a c16se bottom pully and belt it will fit the c16xe

Yeah but you need to find an alt pulley for the narrow belt & ditch the tensioner & PAS etc, so you need an alt belt tensioner arm/thing. I got some random FORD one that was really long & suitable. It all depends on what inlet you have (mine was mantzel) so the TB or manifold will decide where the alternator will be in its arc of travel & what length belt to use.

[from my findings] :thumb:

Plug
23-06-09, 11:19 PM
ok will get a gte belt and a gsi bottom pully to use with my 1200 alternater.

any pictures of said alternater bracket?

Cg i will be using a standard c16xe inlet manifold for the time being just to get it in and running. maybe in the future get a mantzel inlet as they look the dogs bollacks (although this is for my missus car and doesnt really matter lol).

craig green
23-06-09, 11:24 PM
Leave the belt until you get it in with the 2 pulleys then measure up...

Plug
23-06-09, 11:27 PM
ok then.

im hoping it will go in with the multi v :) less work involved for me then

AlexW
23-06-09, 11:28 PM
In all fairness jimbo your best off waiting untill the engine is sat in the bay to start thinking about things like that lol

Southie
23-06-09, 11:29 PM
ok will get a gte belt and a gsi bottom pully to use with my 1200 alternater.

any pictures of said alternater bracket?
Not at the minute but basically it's upsidedown is my alternator with adjusting parts to the (what would be bottom) top. I had to do this due to getting a correct depth below the standard inlet otherwise (as cg stated) is not a good fit.

If your going to be keeping the standard inlet make sure (when you come to it) to extend you airflow meter wiring, just incase you need to move it further away as they are very short wires. I need to move mine.
Also measure the diameters of the Afm incase you need extra hosing for the airfilter.

Plug
23-06-09, 11:30 PM
yea i know but as said im trying to plan ahead so i can get everything needed to do it althou it doesnt really matter as i will have the engine on the 1st of july so it will be in on the 1st weekend 4-5th july and then my missus hasnt got her test again until the 20th, unless she gets a cancellation.

Novabike ok mate will keep all this information for when i get it in there and start getting problems and i will already have all of the questions (i hope) answered.

Jimbo

craig green
23-06-09, 11:31 PM
If your going to be keeping the standard inlet make sure (when you come to it) to extend you airflow meter wiring, just incase you need to move it further away as they are very short wires. I need to move mine.
Also measure the diameters of the Afm incase you need extra hosing for the airfilter.

Aye. Getting the AFM & hosing in etc was a ball ache. Not that straight forward. I paid over £50 for a new GM hose to connect TB to AFM.. Still have it jimbo... & a new K&N. :thumb:

Plug
23-06-09, 11:37 PM
i will keep that in mind mate if your willing to pop it down maybe on a weekend and get your hands dirty lol. (just incase i get stuck).

Plug
05-07-09, 07:17 PM
Right ive dropped the engine in today and some quick questions are in need of answering please.

can someone take a picture of there throttle as i think mine had a bracket missing.

Also i will be taking a trip to a scrappy during the week or at the weekend for some bits that i know i will need but dont know what to get it off.

Throttle cable - corsa im guessing as the nova one isnt long enough??

coolent pipes - going to try and get complete set of Corsa ones and the odd one or two off random cars

AlexW
05-07-09, 07:22 PM
As for coolant pipes, Mine has a Corsa top hose, GTE/GSI bottom hose, A T-piece into the header tank overflow pipe. For the heater matrix ive just used one of the standard corsa ones and the pipe from the header tank to plastic hose from a standard nova.

Corsa throttle cable yes.

And can you get a pic of your TB? Il try and get one of mine later if i remember.

Plug
05-07-09, 07:32 PM
i cant get a picture of mine at the moment as im at home and the car is across town at my missus

the pics ive just updated into the project thread dont show it very well if atall lol