PDA

View Full Version : Clocks....

matt_vaughan
22-06-09, 06:49 AM
Right I know no-one will want to tell me this freely on here so if anyone wants to PM me they can,

I'm fitting both a new engine and a close ratio box soon, and I had fitted my standard 1.2 speedo/odometre into some 6 dial clocks and fitted, but the speedo will be so out and the engine will have different mileage that I could do with fitting the SRi speedo back in, then "adjusting" the mileage to suit the fresh engine.

Can anyone help me?

BTW I'm not clocking my car, although the person I bought this not so mint Nova from reckoned it had done 21000 miles in 17 years......lol

Cheers muchly....

Asa-James
22-06-09, 08:24 AM
mileage goes on the shell, not the engine. best way to reset the speedo is leave the front off the clocks, get a willing passenger, a sat nav/gps and a long stretch of 70mph dual carriageway (preferably when quiet)
get the car to 70 on the sat nav for a mile or so to let it settle, and get your passenger to put the needle on (70 is bang on the top on nova clocks) i did this with my last set and will be getting my brother to do it again soon, makes it brilliantly accurate at all speeds

matt_vaughan
22-06-09, 06:16 PM
Well I'd rather have the mileage of the engine on the dash and know what the shell did before the engine went in.

Asa-James
22-06-09, 07:53 PM
BTW I'm not clocking my car,

if your adjusting the mileage from what the shell is then that ^ is exactly what your doing. if you want to know what mileage your engine's going to be doing, take a note of what it reads once the conversion is done. should be easy to figure out from that

Pillar
22-06-09, 08:38 PM
lift the front end up and drive it in reverse in the air then watch the clocks go backwards lol

let_nova
22-06-09, 09:10 PM
oh and BTW its not illegal to "clock" your car just illegal to sell it with it done.

matt_vaughan
22-06-09, 10:25 PM
if your adjusting the mileage from what the shell is then that ^ is exactly what your doing.

Right well I have two sets of clocks, I shall put one set in to accomodate this engine, then I shall put the "shell" clocks back in if I sell it shall I?

Some people just dont trust anyone round here. Tell you what, with all the engine rebuilds, and shell rebuilds, hardly anyone's car on here represents what is on the clocks anyway.

And I know about it being illegal to sell a car clocked, I very much doubt this will be being sold though, thanks anyway Let_Nova, straight talking.

let_nova
22-06-09, 10:28 PM
wasnt having a dig pal just trying to help you. hope it helped.

matt_vaughan
22-06-09, 10:31 PM
I was saying thanks for some straight talking from someone for once, everyone seems to beat around the bush on here and to be honest who actually knows exactly what mileage any of their car has done.

You could take it right down to the brakes couldn't you. Most have bigger brakes...what mileage have they done? etc etc.

let_nova
22-06-09, 10:34 PM
very true

shell:75,254mls
engine:81,568mls
wheels:9,478mls
tyres:925mls
brakes:65,482mls

lollollollol

let_nova
22-06-09, 10:34 PM
I was saying thanks for some straight talking from someone for once, everyone seems to beat around the bush on here and to be honest who actually knows exactly what mileage any of their car has done.

You could take it right down to the brakes couldn't you. Most have bigger brakes...what mileage have they done? etc etc.

+rep mate lol

matt_vaughan
22-06-09, 10:35 PM
Exactly. And does it really matter, as most stuff gets rebuilt or refreshed many times over.

let_nova
22-06-09, 10:40 PM
true. i think when you but a nova though or something similar the last thing you think about is the lileage. first thing is ROT.

Asa-James
22-06-09, 10:59 PM
Right well I have two sets of clocks, I shall put one set in to accomodate this engine, then I shall put the "shell" clocks back in if I sell it shall I?

Some people just dont trust anyone round here. Tell you what, with all the engine rebuilds, and shell rebuilds, hardly anyone's car on here represents what is on the clocks anyway.

And I know about it being illegal to sell a car clocked, I very much doubt this will be being sold though, thanks anyway Let_Nova, straight talking.

its not a matter of not trusting, you asked for advice and i gave you some on how to put the original speedo head into your new clockset and set it up. i also advised that the mileage on the car to all intents and purposes goes on what mileage the shell has done, as this is reflected in MOT's (and possibly the insurance if they ask for mileage as mine do). theres really no need to get uppety because i pointed out that you will in fact be clocking your car despite you saying you wernt. as for putting the shell clocks back in should you sell, well that would be wrong as well as the shell would have done more mileage by that point.

Asa-James
22-06-09, 11:03 PM

your right, you could put a fresh clockset in each time you change the discs. but seeing as they are a serviceable item (and are expected to wear/get replaced) it would be irrelevant. same goes for tyres, bulbs, spark plugs, oil changes.

and let_nova, not having a go but at no time did i say it was illegal:thumb:

matt_vaughan
23-06-09, 10:41 AM
Asa-James I do understand your point, and what you're saying about the milleag, but with everything with Novas being so mishmashed you really cannot tell the history of a car from milleage anyway. I really just want to keep tabs on the milleage of the engine to be honest, as I'm pretty sure that, at some point, my car's been clocked (hardly any history and when I bought it had done 21-22000 miles in 17 years.....yer right).

When buying Novas, especially ones which have upgraded/renewed parts, you really cant tell most of the time, so you have to go by gut instinct.

I was more thinking about items such as the Calipers, gearboxes etc etc which arent really service items but are swapped around a lot.

Asa-James
23-06-09, 02:58 PM
I'm pretty sure that, at some point, my car's been clocked (hardly any history and when I bought it had done 21-22000 miles in 17 years.....yer right).

122,000? i bought mine with an advertised 9200, as thats what the clocks said (and the randommer i bought it off seemed a bit, well, simple) so in all likelyhood its actually done 109,200 (dont forget nova clocks dont show 100,000 miles)

anyway, if its alright with you i'm happy to let this matter rest (that seemed to escalate out of nowhere!)

oh, and

I was more thinking about items such as the Calipers, gearboxes etc etc which arent really service items but are swapped around a lot.

you've never worked for Alfa Romeo have youlol

matt_vaughan
23-06-09, 06:22 PM
Haha yer mountian molehill situation lol

I never really got upetty about it mate, just misunderstanding.

The guy we bought it from said it was a motorbility car (and IIRC they are limited to milleage every year otherwise they get fined/penalties etc etc) and had been in the family since knew, but the condition of the car neither represented 22000 miles nor 122000 miles, quite wierd. But all the major areas were "ok" so we bought it. Really can be a grey area.

I know a couple of guys that have had Alfas, and practically replaced the damn car in bits lol...very much like us lot really lol