PDA

View Full Version : how does drilling your air box work??

Wiggie
10-02-03, 10:17 PM
whats the science behind drilling your airbox? does it just let more air in?? chers for any reply's :)

Wiggie
10-02-03, 10:21 PM
pix welcome

Fester
10-02-03, 10:46 PM
ive had drilled airbox and got induction kit on now, tbh mate the main differences are psychological

burgessovsalford
11-02-03, 11:22 AM
Never do it myself, but I guess all it will do it give a bit of induction noise, cant see it giving alot if any more power...

PLUS if u drill in the middle of the box the filter is'nt there so u will be gettin shit into your engine.

Mite aswell just buy a bolt on K&N or induction kit. get em for cheap on ebay or in the for sale forum on this site.

ollster
11-02-03, 03:40 PM
basically it has the same effect as buying an induction cone, but its better because it does not suck hot air in from the exhaust manifold. To really notice a difference the whole engine needs to breathe better, so an exhaust would also compliment this mod. I noticed a massive performance differnece when i did mine, the engine was a lot more responsive

burgessovsalford
11-02-03, 04:00 PM
Holes in a std airbox better than inductions kit? :?

ollster
11-02-03, 04:08 PM
Yes, why not, with a good freeflowing panel filter they will produce more power than a cone filter. For example look at the RR test in TV

burgessovsalford
11-02-03, 04:12 PM
Im not doubting you as I've never tried the mod b4, just seems odd as lots of people would have done it instead of buying K&N's & the like...

Wiggie
11-02-03, 05:34 PM
wooow i like a good debate! ..but cold air is what you want isnt it as cold air is denser there for there is more oxygen there to burn, warm air would just have the oposit affect shourly?

ollster:
did you fit any other mods at the same time as having the drilled air box?

Wiggie
11-02-03, 05:36 PM
ow thats what you said

blaiz
11-02-03, 06:59 PM
they did a test on this, but i cant remember which mag it woz in..! (total vaux, max power, revs, or redline!!)

the tests actualy showed that if you drill the holes the correct diameter, correct space apart and right number ov them, than they can be more effective and result in better performance increases!

i fink they testd this on a 1.4SR, with a back box, but not sure.

if i can b boverd i mite scour all me magz +find out!

Wiggie
11-02-03, 07:03 PM
ahh good man, id apreciate it if you did, how ever dont burst a vien or nething :wink:

blaiz
11-02-03, 08:13 PM
better performance than a induction kit or performance filter or bolt on kit etc that is!!

ollster
11-02-03, 09:25 PM
the only way i would ever use a cone on a vauxhall engine would be to modify the original airbox so that the cone would fit inside (hence the hot air factor would be taken out of the equation)

Dicko
11-02-03, 09:33 PM
ok to clear this up....
on a carb engine it makes little difference apart from the noise.
on injection engines such as sri/gte it makes a big difference.
various comapnys did tests and found they got better performance with a drilled airbox than an induction kit. beter still if you use a k&n panel filter inside a drilled airbox.

novax
11-02-03, 10:03 PM
Dicko is 100% spot on. In reality a drilled box and a performance panel filter is far better than a cone filter. One of the reasons for this is the cold air feed from the factory.

BTW, it was TV and it was the Bleidenstein airbox mod they were trying.

Having said all this, I have a K&N on my 1.6 at the moment :D

Dicko
12-02-03, 09:29 AM
the same test has been caried out on a nova gte (bosch) and gsi (multec) in magazines before with very similar results!!

burgessovsalford
12-02-03, 09:41 AM
Im not picking a fight or out, but you can make a cold air feed to go straight to the K&N cant you? :?

ollster
12-02-03, 11:08 AM
yeh but whats stopping it from drawing hot air fom the exhaust manifold

Tazzy
12-02-03, 11:41 AM
i had an idea about this, but not sure if it would work!

what if you upgrated the inflow sensor, then added a ramair panel filter, but to top it off, drill a 1 1/2" to 2" hole in diametre in the air box, maybe underneath, then fixed on a vacuum hose, but blend it into the box then fit the other end underneath the bumper, behind the splitter?

surely that would help in air induction?

mikeoxford
12-02-03, 12:02 PM
i THINK its the ram air pannel filter or the PVD/powerflow pannel filtewr that comes out best............

as said though if your doing it on the round dustbin lid airbox make sure the holes are on the OUTSIDE of the filter

otherwise the air wont be filtereed

Wiggie
12-02-03, 06:44 PM
yer, that what used on the carlton gsi 3000, having the air intake down by the bumper, so it is worth it then