PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tanks -what's the difference?

auto 116
19-06-09, 06:35 PM
I need your help guys. I've read threads on here and everyone goes on about a built in swirl pot, built in pump, etc etc.
But my pump is external and I'm still on a carb tank. Now I realise I need an injection tank to run the GTe engine, but how do you determine/identify an injection tank from a carb tank?
I want to go looking around the scrappies tomorrow so I would appreciate some pointers on what to look for.

Thanks in advance for your help.

AlexW
19-06-09, 06:38 PM
Depends if you want to run a internal or external pump. Internal pump is easy as it will be under the rear seat.

External should be easy to find as the pump will be mounted on the chassis leg.

Remember only a nova tank will fit a nova.

Adam
19-06-09, 06:40 PM
All injection tanks have swirl pots built in.
SPI tanks have a pump bolted in the top of the tank.
MPi tanks have an external pump, and the feed pipe comes from the fuel level sender on the back of the tank

auto 116
19-06-09, 06:43 PM
Depends if you want to run a internal or external pump. Internal pump is easy as it will be under the rear seat.

External should be easy to find as the pump will be mounted on the chassis leg.

Remember only a nova tank will fit a nova.

Yes I realise that but how do you determine the injection tank if its off the car? e.g. Pipe locations on tank, pipe diameters, what can be seen internally through the sender unit.

loggyboy
19-06-09, 06:46 PM
All injection tanks have swirl pots built in.
SPI tanks have a pump bolted in the top of the tank.
MPi tanks have an external pump, and the feed pipe comes from the fuel level sender on the back of the tank
IIRC SPis dont have swirl pots
and im not very sure at all on this, but dont C16SE GSis have internal pumps too?

AlexW
19-06-09, 06:53 PM
IIRC SPI's have a tiny swirl pot below the pump?

auto 116
19-06-09, 06:55 PM
Has anyone tried replacing the feed pipe on a carb tank from 8mm to 12mm so that the pump doesn't struggle pulling the fuel through? I have thought about putting an external swirl pot on it along with a Facet pump for low pressure supply to fill the pot, but I'm limited on space as I've mounted everything behind the drivers seat because the fuel lines are in the car and its being used for rallying. What must be remembered is that all this has to be boxed off when fitted in car to meet the regulations for rallying.

Adam
19-06-09, 07:02 PM
IIRC SPis dont have swirl pots
and im not very sure at all on this, but dont C16SE GSis have internal pumps too?
They all have pot's, else your engine would cutout if you cornered hard.
The swirl pot is identical in both gte tanks and spi tanks.

Only spi's have internal pumps