PDA

View Full Version : Ive had a revelation what ya think?

nova dosed
10-02-03, 06:29 PM
This annoying problem i have about traveling a distance and then the car cutting out but been fine if u restart it after a min.

Well i thought it cud be a fueling prob but

what if its caused by my exhaust.
Ive still got a standard centre section with a cam, 4 branch and k and n oh and s/s back box.

What if the gasses are leaving the car good down the 4 branch and reaching the centre section then as its gone from 4 branch to standard cud it be getting clogged up and then backing up to the engine and eventually making it cut out?

So i need to replace the exhaust system if thats the case

thats what it feels like. As im no expert im probally wrong like normal

Give me ur ideas

Cheers

jon

Chris LR
10-02-03, 06:55 PM
If the size difference is huge it will affect your engine, but I don't know if it would be enough to cut it.

What else have you ruled out, and why?

nova dosed
10-02-03, 07:03 PM
Right i thought it was due to under fueling _ trying that this week as bought new webber today a 32/34

Cud be the auto choke but i will no when i swap the carb

Me mate thinks its the coil- bought a new one today will try that this week

possibility- its the exhaust as reasons stated above

ive changed the vacum, dist cap, rota arm plugs leads

its baffling me. When it happends it does this the engine will not rev right 1st then the revs start to die if u stop and try to pull off it sounds like a miss fire (like if u have a k and n on and 1st thing in the morning its abit rough ) but then if turn it off leave it for a min it will drive like there was no problem

Chris LR
10-02-03, 07:07 PM
Have you adjusted the points in the dizzy?

nova dosed
10-02-03, 07:33 PM
er no on purpose no why shud i if so how the hell do i do that u on about the advance retard thing

Chris LR
10-02-03, 07:38 PM
Well get your haynes and a set of feeler gauges.

Get one side of your car up (so you can turn the eninge by hand) and measure the gap between the points as you turn the engine over(You may need a mate). You can then simply adjust them with a single screwdriver. I don't think you'll have to adjust the actualy timing, just the gap between the points.

The Landrover I've been driving recently died the other night because the points were severly worn, It took me under 5 mins to adjust.

nova dosed
10-02-03, 10:47 PM
and what the reason behind this then what does that do?

_JH_
11-02-03, 12:04 AM
is your battery in good condition? ie topped up with electrolyte, no leaks etc

nova dosed
11-02-03, 12:11 AM
brans new m8 ive been through all this if u have read any of me posts in the past few weeks u will see as ive replaced ( a list agin)

plugs-leads-rot arm-distrib cap-vacum-coil (2moz)-carb(2moz)-battery

plus me mods so im running outa ideas if u read up i think its one of those.

Also when i wack this carb on 2moz me webber will it be ok to drive or will i need to play with it to make the car run right?

_JH_
11-02-03, 12:19 AM
depends what it came off and what its jetted for. you may be lucky and get the car to seem as if its fairly ok, but it wont run properly until tuned up by a garage.

nova dosed
11-02-03, 01:15 AM
the carb is a brand spanker still in box and everything.

burgessovsalford
11-02-03, 04:09 PM
I'd say check timing in the dissy if u have'nt checked it...

Cant explain how to do it but This could be the prob. Its in the Haynes manual how2do it.

Chris LR
12-02-03, 09:02 PM
The contact breaker points, inside the distributor cap control when a spark is send out to 1 of the 4 spark plugs,

If the contact breaker points don't make contact a spark cannot be sent. They have to be set at the correct gap otherwise they'll be fcuked and so will your spark distribution (i.e cutting out)

mowgli
12-02-03, 09:23 PM
could be the coil. I had one cause no end of problems once, and it took ages to diagnose....

Most likely it's the now infamous carb icing have you got a warm air feed for your K&N for use in the winter?????

Once the carb is on, get it tuned & then see if its still doing it.

By the way, the std nova exhaust is the same bore as the GTE exhaust.
Back in the early eighties, when the Astra/Nova challenge was running for 1300 models, all of the competitors used to modify the downpipe ( where the two pipes meet, the std joint is restrictive, so they ground it out to tidy it up) keep the centre section, and stick a decent backbox on them.

I once ran a mk1 astra with a nova gte lump fitted (honest, and it was damned quick) and the complete 1300 astra exhaust was fitted. it worked fine. the reason for this madness was that I had a written off nova gte, an astra with a tatered engine, a week off, and no money...

nova dosed
13-02-03, 12:02 AM
respect.

Well that will save me money any way ive got a coil just not put it on carb ain freezin did it in summer. I got a s/s magnex back box so its not bad not sure if i like it though might change it any1 wanna make me an offer on it?