PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 SPI Engine Upgrade

kent14sr
19-06-09, 10:40 AM
Whats easiest upgrade from a 1.2 SPI ?

Im guessing a 1400 SRI engine, but is it a case of just changing petrol tank or is this not neccesary??

Not used to this injection stuff

GRUNT 16V
19-06-09, 10:42 AM
if you do replace the engine then replace the fuel pump as the spi is not man enough to supply an mpi engine

Riggy
19-06-09, 10:44 AM
the easiest upgrade would be a 1.4 spi , but if your after something with a bit more go , then the rest are just the same wrok , so 1.4sri and a 1.6 gsi require nothing different at all

AlexW
19-06-09, 10:56 AM
All will require you to change the loom (by that i mean cut out the 1.2 stuff). No need to change the tank for a MPI engine, just get a pump from a astra MPI.

Theres loads of engines you can fit. All about the same work.

MK999
19-06-09, 12:00 PM
Halfway through a 1.2 SPI - E16SE on mine atm, hardest bit is cutting out the 1.2 loom, from there on it's just a case of splicing in the engine and bolting it up. Although i'm still yet to get the driveshafts off of the 1.2, and may even give up and just buy new inner cv's lol

Easiest way to do it is cut the loom plugs off, unwrap the wiring, and pull everything through that lets go, then whatever you're left with, find out what it is, take it out if necessary or label it and put it to one side, I was left with 1 switched live, 1 perm live, and 2 earths after wiring up the gsi engine, everything else was used or removed. If you check my project thread you'll find all the issues I came across, including the wiring.

kent14sr
19-06-09, 01:25 PM
cheers guys - does not sound as bad as I thought!

AlexW
19-06-09, 01:29 PM
Its not lol. If you need any help ashford isnt far :)

kent14sr
19-06-09, 06:30 PM
Its not lol. If you need any help ashford isnt far :)

Cheers mate - ill prob take you up on that!!

Collecting the car monday so ill assess it when I get back and if its as good as think then conversion here we come!