PDA

View Full Version : insurance, steelies

marc novataken
18-06-09, 11:04 PM
my brother took out insurance for his 106 today, had to put it back to standard to afford it. his insurance wont cover him on a modded car, if he paints a red lip on his black steelies will this count as a modification? as its just standard wheels

Mcgowan
19-06-09, 05:00 AM
If he does have to claim just say it's red primer and he scratched them on a kerb!! Problem solvedlol

Benn
19-06-09, 08:04 AM
I dont think painting wheels is a prob...

Jack
19-06-09, 08:43 AM
Technically, yes its a mod - non standard paintwork

marc novataken
19-06-09, 10:17 AM
im just thinking that surely if that is a mod, then fitting hubcaps is a mod?

marc novataken
19-06-09, 10:24 AM
if he got pulled over or made a claim, would they refuse him cover?

Southie
19-06-09, 10:45 AM
i have been driving a heavily modified bmw e30 327i and insured as a 320 auto.

Crashed it though

:tard:

Jack
19-06-09, 11:15 AM
im just thinking that surely if that is a mod, then fitting hubcaps is a mod?
Yep. If they're different to the ones it rolled out the factory with, its a mod.

I still don't understand why people fail to comprehend the whole "what constitutes a modification" thing. Everything non-standard is a modification. Just use a bit of common sense with regards to what needs to be declared and what doesn't. To be honest, I very much doubt an insurance company would be troubled by a lick of paint on some wheels, but if in doubt, check. What would you rather do, spend 3 minutes on the phone asking them what you may think to be a daft question, or have hassle and possible legal issues in the event of a claim?

i have been driving a heavily modified bmw e30 327i and insured as a 320 auto.

Crashed it though
Anyone who has issue with insurance companies being so hot over modifications, please PM this guy. As he's the reason you have difficulty :)

Jack
19-06-09, 11:47 AM
Why bother to insure it at all then for the drive home? As you paid out for a product thats invalid and not worth the paper it was written on.