PDA

View Full Version : mbe management

gavint5
18-06-09, 06:06 PM
i have aquired an ecu from a freind and when he baught it he was told it was used to run a corsa for racing in a class where no modifications where allowed to the c20 xe engine. the previous owner took off the stickers and hid it inside of the original ecu case so it all looked stock.

i havnt any way of getting a pik onto my computer atm but heres one i have found that looks the same but has a sticker.

http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/Caterham%207%20mbe%20ignition%20unit.jpg

question. is my ecu deffinately the same as the one in this pik?
where would i find more info software and maps for this?

thanks lads.

craig green
18-06-09, 06:08 PM
No pic...

However, without a loom & a 'map' for your specific engine created & installed on the ECU. It's of no use to you.

gavint5
18-06-09, 06:11 PM
its ready to plug into my loom ey and has been running an xe in the past.

i am uploading a pik now.

gavint5
18-06-09, 06:14 PM
cant get a pik uploaded so added a link. please have a look and tell me if it could possibly be anything otehr than the one in the pik.

i plan on fitting throttle bodies quite soon craig so thats why i got it. i have a coilpack xe with blue injectors. so thats most things sorted if this ecu will do.

Southie
18-06-09, 06:26 PM
No matter what the car was like it came off as Craig says it will need mapping to your engine even if yours is standard. Have a look on SBD's site as it explains about certain mbe management being too old for some maps on certain versions.

Will F
19-06-09, 08:37 AM
If its an older one (which it looks like it is) you will struggle to get it mapped anyway...

Southie
19-06-09, 09:08 AM
Found this for you.

When purchasing second hand ECUs, please note the following;
If the ECU is still a current issue i.e. advertised on our web site, it can be reprogrammed, costs from £90 per unit.

If the ECU is an older model, it is recommended that the ECU be only used for the type of engine it is already programmed for. If you require an older model reprogrammed, costs are from £125 per unit dependant on the age of the ECU. It can cost more for the unit to be reprogrammed than the purchase of new ECU. In addition, if the unit breaks, the older units (e.g. 912-900) are irreparable.

gavint5
19-06-09, 03:28 PM
yer ive read all this but surely i can get a map for mine anyway. if i could find someone with the sotware to set up the older ecu's then get somone locally to map it i'll be laughig yer.???

i plugged it in today anyway and it never started????

Stuart
19-06-09, 03:44 PM
"get a map" yes you do it yourself :D

"it never started" how long is a piece of string!!!! the loom could be toss, the map could be ****/erased (some folks do that) etc. you need a laptop on there to be sure

gavint5
19-06-09, 03:51 PM
ecu is a 912 and 16 yrs old and absolutely useless :(

it tiurns out you need some sort of a machine to plug the removable chip into and program sperately to the ecu on windows 95 and on a software that probably doesnt exist now lol

i'll pop into a fella's workshop up this end thats been mapping for years in the hope he still has the gear in a loft or summet but its looking unlikely.

Adam
19-06-09, 06:42 PM
Aye, it has a removeable eeprom (spelling) chip iirc