PDA

View Full Version : dud fuel guage

jimbob-mcgrew
16-06-09, 11:29 PM
my stinkin fuel gauge has packed up - im fuk'T !

AlexW
16-06-09, 11:34 PM
Nova..... Theres your answer.

Leeboo
17-06-09, 12:21 AM
Very irritating isn't it... try hitting your clocks a few taps (sometimes I have to do this to activate my temp gauge, was the same on my last clocks for petrol gauge).

Or could be sender :( . Check connection

jimbob-mcgrew
17-06-09, 12:44 AM
yeh ive been doing that with no probs, sits at zero till u give the dial a wak and it registers fine after that, but just tonight its deciding not to budge at all, ive smacked up the dials trying to get it to work, but i think its finally had it, or maybe the faults somewhere else ?

im gonna have to tape a piece of paper to the dash with an imaginery fuel gauge on it, and adjust the drawing as i fill up and drive lol. will put like £5 petrol in it everytime i use it, plus keep a jerry can in the boot if i get lazy and forget.

AlexW
17-06-09, 01:04 AM
lol

Guderian
17-06-09, 12:02 PM
Zero the trip meter every time you brim the tank! This works until the trip stops working....

brainsnova
17-06-09, 12:10 PM
rip out the passenger seat and throw the tank in there ,then its right next to you and you can tell when its nearly empty.

jimbob-mcgrew
17-06-09, 02:58 PM
lol brains :thumb:

could just sit a bucket in the footwell with the fuel line stuck in it, heheh

car might go pop bang when i spark a ciggy tho lol

jimbob-mcgrew
17-06-09, 10:05 PM
got a horrible feeling im gonna run out on the motorway on my way to work tommora morning at 5am.

just had a thought, despite it being crap and havving to hit the dash, it properly stopped working just after i did some exhaust work, and i did end up banging the pipe upside the tank and on the rear beam ALOT, anything i might have disturbed around there ?

General Baxter
17-06-09, 10:11 PM
could just sit a bucket in the footwell with the fuel line stuck in it, heheh

is it wrong to admit iv done that :roll:

Hobbit
17-06-09, 11:01 PM
is it wrong to admit iv done that :roll:

Yes lol

jimbob-mcgrew
18-06-09, 01:06 AM
nowt wrong with that baxter lol
just as long as u dont spark up, be allright lol

jimbob-mcgrew
21-06-09, 04:19 PM
sorted this out yesterday :). turned out to be a rusted spade connector on the underside of the petrol tank, cleaned it up with a bit of sandpaper and wha-laa.

sometimes i dont even have to wak the dash to get it to register anymore. plus, as i was brickkin it so much about running outta petrol without the gauge that i put a bit in everytime i used the car, when i did get the guage working, to my surprise i had half a tank when i thought i was on fumes ! :cool:

Guderian
22-06-09, 08:23 AM
Mate swamp it in copper grease otherwise it will rust straight through again. Vaux usually made that particular spade from cad plated steel. The salt eats straight through it!

jimbob-mcgrew
24-06-09, 12:07 PM
yeh i was thinking some grease when i had time, but copper sounds even better - will do :thumb:

Al3x
25-06-09, 09:28 PM
my fuel gauge seems to have a mind of its own, going up and down all the while. sometimes it stays steady the empty right to full. anyone had this?
put a brand new sender in it and still no relif but could be a dodgy sender.
suggestions anyone? ta :)

jimbob-mcgrew
26-06-09, 12:35 AM
maybe a bad earth ? are you getting a steady voltage flow thru the dash wires and the wires to the sender