PDA

View Full Version : Mix and match

Leeboo
16-06-09, 09:58 PM
Hi I am thinking of making use of some spare parts from my garage by building up an engine. I have a complete 1300 bottom end, a 1200 head, and 1600sv twin choke carb. I can get hold of an inlet and 1600sv camshaft easily.

So, a 1300 bottom end, 1200 head with 1600 cam and 1600 inlet/carb. Whats people's thoughts on that? I have sr mani/downpipes and 4 branch so would be ok in that department. p.s. I think the 1600 cam is same as a 1.3 SR. Its slot drive so i have 4 spare slot drive dizzys.

Also, anyone have any guides on headwork? Like matching ports/porting polishing etc?

I am a beginner really the most I've done on an engine was a headgasket so looking to use this as a learning curve as I have most the bits lying here (part from service parts obv.)

Thanks, Lee

AlexW
16-06-09, 10:01 PM
1600 cam would problery be too much on a 1300, somone will be able to confirm. Thought about sourceing a 1400 carb?

Leeboo
16-06-09, 10:18 PM
Think I remember reading that the cam on a 16sv is the same as a 1300?

Could get a 1400 pierburg 2e yeah but didn't see the need? I could get a 1400 cam too but obviously wouldn't be slot drive... I don't fancy finding the stuff to go along with it. I can get anything off a 1400nv but don't think I need anything off it?

jimbob-mcgrew
16-06-09, 11:26 PM
sounds like it might be a little beasty

AlexW
16-06-09, 11:34 PM
Ahhh ****e i fail... I ment to say CARB... not cam. What a fecking homo am i!

Leeboo
16-06-09, 11:55 PM
Don't worry AW06, homo's have just as much right to exist as other people lol .

Does anyone know of any guides on basic headwork on the net? I remember a guide in Total Vauxhall a while back but not sure now where the mag is.

jimbob-mcgrew
17-06-09, 12:07 AM
i dunno much about all that, but if u get yourself a lil dremmel tool thing, and with a wee spinny grinder, open out the inlet/exhaust ports a bit more to the slightly larger size of the gasket, and then use the gasket again on the manifold side to match em up, would help. gotta be carefull on the inlet side if u do this, as you dont wanna make the inner manifold surface too smooth, cos the roughness helps mix the fuel and air on its way into the engine. could possibly do the same on the carbside / inlet manifold too, might let a bit more air in.

alex u homo lol

Leeboo
17-06-09, 12:15 AM
i dunno much about all that, but if u get yourself a lil dremmel tool thing, and with a wee spinny grinder, open out the inlet/exhaust ports a bit more to the slightly larger size of the gasket, and then use the gasket again on the manifold side to match em up, would help. gotta be carefull on the inlet side if u do this, as you dont wanna make the inner manifold surface too smooth, cos the roughness helps mix the fuel and air on its way into the engine. could possibly do the same on the carbside / inlet manifold too, might let a bit more air in.

alex u homo lol

Yeah thinking along these lines really.

Want to keep things cheap as poss really. I know the 1300 bottom end is ok, ran it in a Nova, took it out because of the head being fooked.

Should be getting the 16sv cam and inlet this week sometime off my old 1600sv engine that I had in my last Nova. Also need to get an engine stand soonish.

jimbob-mcgrew
17-06-09, 12:39 AM
the inlet might not be any good for the 1.2 head if your sticking to that plan, the 16sv head and inlet has square ports. they may possibly match up once ground out tho. i hear the way to go with the 2e carb is a 1.3 SR inlet manifold, mates to the 1.2 and 1.3 head.

Leeboo
17-06-09, 12:45 AM
the inlet might not be any good for the 1.2 head if your sticking to that plan, the 16sv head and inlet has square ports. they may possibly match up once ground out tho. i hear the way to go with the 2e carb is a 1.3 SR inlet manifold, mates to the 1.2 and 1.3 head.

Sh!t. I thought the 16sv inlet was round port. Damn I shouldn't have sold my 1300 inlet and carb. Some modding to do then.

Yeah as I say I did have a 1300 inlet/carb but sold it. Had it on my 1.2 for a while but it didnt' run right with the std cam so got rid.

I can get an inlet off a 14nv... this be a better idea?

jimbob-mcgrew
17-06-09, 12:57 AM
heheh, same square ports on the 14NV too unfortunatly.

ive got a combo of parts youd be interested in if u were closer to collect.
i was gonna put this lot onto a 1.4NV for a hi-compression engine, but have changed my mind as its a daily driver and got a 1.6 instead.

1200 head (with lifters and tappets)
1400 cam carrier / cam / cam pulley (minus mechanical fuel pump)
1400 2e carb (randomly chokeless !)
1400 pin drive dizzy & coil (missing mini loom tho)

just missing the 1.3SR inlet to bind it together and a 1.4 throttle cable for the carb

Leeboo
17-06-09, 02:18 AM
Haha I don't know what I was smoking when I suggested the 14nv inlet, I knew it was square port as per sr.... coursework is going to my head lol .

Sounds like a decent setup that mate but obviously the large liquid gap between us rules it out. Got most the stuff here anyways, getting the 16 cam inlet for proverbial peanuts.

Cheers for input