PDA

View Full Version : What car to take

Jack
16-06-09, 09:42 AM
I'm off to Kernow on Saturday for a week in the sun (allegedly), just can't decide what car to take.

Option one is the Celica.
Pros: Its comfy, reliable, spacious and 4WD so the twisty little lanes round there mean fun. Its also got a larger fuel tank so has a greater range. Air con and electric windows, sunroof etc will be handy if its hot.
Cons: Lower MPG, 24mpg at the moment. Only runs on VPower which means finding Shell stations to refuel (however there are at least two in the locale, and VPower is comparitively cheap down there). Its also only got about 2k miles til its next service which I've been trying to put off lol

Option two is the Nova.
Pros: Better fuel economy (~29mpg at the mo), more "fun" to drive on open roads. Smaller fuel tank means less money to fill up (but lesser range) and it will run on any old fuel.
Cons: Less comfy, less reliable - not had a chance to swap the gearbox yet. Doesn't really have any mod cons, but it won't take long to cool off if it gets hot inside. Its also not really suited to little twisty country lanes.

Option 3, burgo, i.e. don't take a car :D The people I'm going with are drivers so I could just leave both my cars at home and tag in with them.
Pros: No wear and tear, mileage etc on my cars. I'll give money for fuel, but it would still probably work out cheaper than using mine. I have drive any car insurance so I can still drive. I also don't have to worry about where I drive or where I leave the car as its not mine so meh lol
Cons: Obviously I won't have my own wheels so will be reliant on other people. The cars in question will either be a 1.4 Ford Puma or 1.8 Mk4 Astra SXi (complete with lots of pink things) so neither particularly inspiring. The Puma I've driven before, and it gave me cramp; the Astra I've not driven so its unknown

Hrrrmmmm

Martin
16-06-09, 10:29 AM
sillycar :)

Novaboi_1991
16-06-09, 10:42 AM
Nova!

Christ
16-06-09, 10:45 AM
The reliability of the celica swings it for me.

Novaboi_1991
16-06-09, 10:49 AM
yeah, but, on the other hand, why bother transplanting a new engine into the nova and why rebuild it, if you dont trust it to get you from a to b,

my nova was used by my dad every day for 2 years, and it never broke down,

Jack
16-06-09, 10:56 AM
Its a Nova, I'll never trust it. Unless it has a japanese engine in it, in which case something else would break lol

I'm more than surprised its never really broken down. The only time it had mechanical failure was when the oil filter seal split and it dumped ALL of its oil over the road. It still managed to limp 3 miles home with zero oil in it :D

However, you can guarantee its just waiting til I'm in the most inhospitable place, middle of nowhere, with no phone signal before before it sh!ts itself!

AlexW
16-06-09, 11:06 AM
Take the nova, if it breaks down, dump it at the side of the road. Your be better off.

General Lee
16-06-09, 11:08 AM
I voted celica, not because of reliabilaty, just because of pure fun on the twisties.

blue_peg_16v
17-06-09, 10:05 AM
celica a/c and comfort ftw plus you will bang ya head getting in the puma guarenteed lol