PDA

View Full Version : reving problem i hate the bloody cold

nova dosed
09-02-03, 04:12 AM
my nova has (most of u prob no by now i said it so many times) a kent cam ast II, pmc four branch manifold, k and n, standard centre section and magnex s/s back box.
When i drive it the car will pull off great quite quick infact but when it reaches 4500 revs it will go flat if u know what i mean (the revs still go up but the car doesnt respond like it should) ive changed
the vacum
rota arm
plugs to ngk grooved
distributer cap
coil
leads
fuel pump
and im baffled its as if the cam refuses to kick in properly. I think its under fueling as i have a standard pierburg carb onit with one of them swirl pot things on the front. Can any of what i changed make a difference to it.
It was tuned the other day but only crypton tuned not rolling roaded what can you suggest. I had a quote of ?200 for a webber carb but i dont want a new one as i dont want to pay ?200 for it. And yes ur right i am a cheap skate. But a baffled cheap skate

rob.slader
09-02-03, 10:02 AM
To get it spot on you should just get it checked on the rollers. It shouldn't cost much for a session, especially as you don't have a complicated carb to set up. I was running similar to you before I went with Twin DCOE 40's. I had a pierburg carb with a cam and full exhaust system. Mine took off at 4k revs, so should yours really, so get it checked. Krypton tunes aren't really that good as they only tune it on tickover really, the emmissions etc will be fine, but they don't have the facility and equipment to tune up the rev range whilst the engine is under load.

nova dosed
09-02-03, 08:12 PM
it did it again earlier cumin back from shopping trip with mrs and about 35 miles into the trip the car died on me turned it off and 2 mins later started it and it was fine this is why i think its a fuel related problem and its all linked what u think.

By cutting out i mean it will get to the stage when it sounds like its miss firing but leave it litterally a min and its perfect its just on long distance never duz it round town

rob.slader
09-02-03, 08:21 PM
Perhaps the carb needs cleaning / overhauling??

mikeoxford
09-02-03, 08:28 PM
hmmmm, perhaps the timing is out a little?

nova dosed
09-02-03, 08:36 PM
cnt see how timing is out but i agree on the carb thing

What about if i get a 1.8 astra carb will that fit and will i need to change owt to make it fit what carb do they use and will that give me enough fueling.

I think that the prob lies with that swirl pot idea on the front of the carb i dont like it but i cnt do out about it. Well i can change the carb but thats it.